A Few Samples of Darryl Ward’s Writing


If you want to know more about Darryl,



Here is a page.  It’s messy though. And just a place to dump some stuff. But plenty is here if you want to know it.



If you’re interested, then you can access his old website on the waybackmachine. The url is theword.tk


https://web.archive.org/web/20220129064455/http://theword.tk/


You can find his sermons on sermoncentral here:


https://sermoncentral.com/contributors/darryl-ward-profile-61924





This is a sample of Darryl’s writing:


Added: his old website on the way back machine


****
****

Encountering Christ On Death Row


LAST UPDATED ON: MAY 25, 2017 AT 7:11 PM   BY GUEST CONTRIBUTOR


One of my most memorable experiences of being in church as a child was hearing “The Judgement of the Nations” (Matthew 25:31-46) read aloud, which includes Jesus saying:

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.
No other text from the Bible has ever resonated with me so much. It helped me understand that through loving those who are the most unloved and the most outcast we can demonstrate our love for God. Few in society are more unloved and more outcast than those who are in prison — especially those who are on death row.

The row is not a pleasant place. “We all die a little bit on the row each day,” wrote Richard Michael Rossi, who spent more than 20 years on death row in Arizona before dying of natural causes. Depending on which state they are incarcerated in, death row inmates could be locked up for 23 hours a day in tiny cells with no natural light and fed only inadequate servings of inedible food which is shoved through slots, all while waiting in anguish to be killed.

No matter what they may have done, nobody deserves this. For some inmates, it becomes too much, and they willingly give up all their appeals to hasten their executions. These prisoners, who have abandoned hope, are euphemistically called “volunteers.”

A few years ago I read something that changed my life: a request for pen friends for death row inmates in the USA. I remembered hearing “The Judgement of the Nations” read aloud in church years ago, and I felt myself drawn to this ministry — but I knew it could not be approached lightly.

First, not counting those who are genuinely innocent (and they do exist, as is evidenced by those who are exonerated on DNA evidence), you do not end up on death row for stealing a bicycle. So, could I befriend someone who I knew had committed a terrible crime?

Second, I struggled with what to say if anyone ever asked me if I had any idea how the friends and families of victims felt, as if I was somehow “taking sides” with murderers over their victims. I found it difficult to think of a meaningful response until several years ago, when a close friend was the victim of a homicide, and I found myself able to pray for his killer.

Finally, I had to be certain I could keep such a commitment. You should never start writing to someone on the row unless you are prepared to keep it up. Becoming involved with a death row inmate means committing to accompanying someone on a difficult journey whose final destination is probably an appointment with an executioner. It is going to be emotionally and spiritually demanding.

After much prayer and contemplation, I eventually contacted a friend in
Voices for Death Row Inmates and offered myself as a pen friend. The next day I was given contact details for “Mark” (named changed to protect his identity), a man on the row in Ohio. It was Maundy Thursday, the eve of Jesus’ execution.

Over the last three years, Mark and I have shared our stories and become good friends. I tell him what I have been up to and he tells me about life in prison. One of the less negative aspects of Mark’s situation is that he is in Ohio, where conditions on the row are much better than in some other states. The inmates are allowed out of their cells to mingle and participate in activities, and they are allowed contact visits. But life there is still hard. Before the current moratorium came into effect, every few months there would be another execution and everyone was reminded why they were there.

I know how Mark ended up on the row. But I have also come to know an incredibly caring person. When I mention something that is bothering me (forgetting how trivial it must be compared with the issues he is facing), he prays for me. He sends me things he has made and poems he has written. A couple of years ago, I had a health scare (that thankfully turned out to be of no consequence), and Mark bought a card for me out of what little money he had. And on the day before my birthday one year, he phoned me and sang “Happy Birthday.” The fact that he had mixed up the time zones and called around 4:00 am didn’t bother me in the least because it was such a wonderful surprise to hear from him.

Mark demonstrates an incredibly positive attitude that you would not expect to find in someone in his position. His tremendous faith encourages me. And his knowledge of the Bible sometimes puts me to shame.

Life on the row changes people, and I would suggest that there are few, if any, on the row who ever experience a day without regretting what they have done and wishing they could undo it. But unless Mark’s appeals are successful, there is only one place his journey is likely to end up.

Like the men and women currently on death row, Jesus was also a condemned prisoner, and, by being there for Mark, I am also there for Jesus. Accompanying Mark on his journey is the closest thing I will ever do to accompanying Jesus to the cross, which makes it one of the greatest privileges I have ever been given.

I believe there are some places where we are more likely to encounter Christ than others: soup kitchens, homeless shelters, AA meetings. I have encountered Him on death row, and it has changed my life forever.








About Darryl Ward

Darryl Ward is the founder and director of Dismas International (FB Page), and is the New Zealand coordinator of Voices for Death Row Inmates.

His website is theword.tk.

****
****

My notes:


This page was found at:


This page is just here for completeness and as a back up. There is perhaps some double meaning in this page, but I do not intend to explain why.


****
****

Here is an example of one of his sermons:


From sermoncentral.com

The Real Face Of The Persecuted


Contributed by Darryl Ward on Nov 28, 2017

5,433 views

Scripture: 1 Peter 3:13-22
Denomination: Anglican
Summary: What does it really mean to be persecuted for following Jesus today?

Two and a half years ago, Florida charity worker Arnold Abbott made world headlines when he was arrested. His crime? Feeding the homeless.

Arnold, who was ninety at the time, had been helping prepare hundreds of meals every week since 1990. In 1991, he founded the Maureen A. Abbott Love Thy Neighbor Fund, whose name was a tribute to his late wife, and which sought to continue the work they had done together. Love Thy Neighbor is based on two core principles: “We are our brother’s keeper”, and “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” And it is open to people of all religions, beliefs, and races, who wish to help those who are worse off than themselves.

Love Thy Neighbor has carried on with its good work of helping the homeless without drawing any international attention, until the City of Fort Lauderdale passed an ordinance severely restricting their activities. Feeding the homeless had to take place least 500 feet away from residential properties, and food sites were restricted to one per city block. These restrictions were motivated by residents and businesses, who were concerned about homeless people being attracted to their neighbourhoods (and presumably thereby lowering the tone of them).

But Love Thy Neighbor was not going let this stop them. And on Tuesday 4 November 2014, Arnold, along with two ministers from the Sanctuary Church, were arrested while they were distributing food to the homeless. But, in spite of this, Arnold was back feeding the homeless the very next day. Even though he risked a US$500 fine for each arrest. Not to mention four months in gaol. And again, he was arrested.

Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jack Seiler was not impressed by Arnold’s efforts, but Arnold pointed out, if they weren’t feeding the homeless, many of them would have no alternative other than to forage through rubbish bins, or starve.

“What the city is doing by cutting out feeding is very simple -- they are forcing homeless people to go dumpster-diving all over again,” Arnold said. “They will steal. That's what the mayor is forcing the homeless to do.”

Today’s epistle reading is from the First Letter of St Peter. The authorship is traditionally attributed to St Peter, the Apostle, and this certainly seems to have been the view of the early Church. However, many of today’s scholars say that St Peter could not have possibly written this document, as it would have required much higher a level of education and a knowledge of Greek than a humble fisherman from Galilee would have possessed. And a compromise position is that St Peter essentially dictated the letter to a secretary who was more versed in Greek than he was. There are differing views on the letter’s authorship, but at the end of the day, we really don’t know, and like so many of the books of scripture, its authorship is uncertain.

The First Letter of St Peter contains some very interesting material. Some of it, notably the author’s views on gender roles, especially the suggestion that women are “the weaker sex”, would generally be considered today to be irredeemably outdated, which reinforces my personal view that we must always take into account the cultural and historical context of when scripture was written, instead of simply taking it at face value through today’s eyes. 5 It also contains that absolutely fascinating fragment of text about Jesus making a proclamation to imprisoned spirits after his death, which was part of our reading this morning.

But the most consistent theme of the First Letter of St Peter is a message of encouragement for early Christians who were facing persecution, and scholars are divided over whether the author was referring to social rejection, or the more serious official persecution that was undertaken by the Roman authorities at certain times. And it may well refer to both. But in either case, those who are facing persecution are encouraged. They are told that they are blessed if they suffer for doing good, and that it is better to suffer for doing good, if suffering should be God’s will, than to suffer for doing evil.

A complaint I have sometimes heard from Christians in North America is that they are being persecuted for their faith (although admittedly I haven’t heard quite heard so much since Donald Trump took office). Some are employers, who are unhappy that health provisions included in remuneration for their workers cover things they disapprove of, such as the provision of contraception. But an employer being prevented from forcing their personal morality onto their staff does not count as religious persecution.

And there are others who claim they are persecuted who object to anti-discrimination laws that we are told could – for example – force a baker to bake a cake for a same sex wedding. Now you may rest assured I am not about to segue into the minefield that is the theology of human sexuality: this is just an example to make a point. And I would argue that this does not constitute religious persecution. Baking a cake is just that; it is baking a cake. It is not actually partaking in a wedding. And I am yet to hear any complaints from Christian bakers about baking cakes for divorced people who are remarrying, which I am sure must happen a lot more frequently than same sex weddings.

I would suggest they ask themselves that most clichéd of questions, ‘What would Jesus do?’ And I would say Jesus would not only bake the bake, he would bake two of them, given that he had said that if anybody forces you to go one mile, you should also go the extra mile.

Neither of these scenarios constitute genuine religious persecution in my view, and to suggest they do is downright disrespectful to those who in some parts or the world are deprived of liberty, subjected to violence, and even killed for following their faith.

But, having said that, there are still genuine examples of Americans being persecuted for following the teachings of Jesus. And one of them is Arnold Abbott. Jesus never said anything about restricting people’s access to health care, or refusing to bake cakes for people whose lifestyles we disapprove of. But he had a lot to say about caring for the vulnerable. And he also fed people.

Yes, this sermon comes with slides
Arnold wasn’t arrested over issues Jesus never mentioned or even alluded to. He was arrested for doing precisely what Jesus asked us to do. In my book, that counts as religious persecution.

The real faces of the persecuted Christians in North America are not the employers who object to their staff having access to contraception. And neither are they the bakers who want to be selective about their clientele. The real faces of the persecuted American Christians are people like Arnold Abbott.

So, what happened to Arnold in the end? After three trials in the Circuit Court, followed by two trials in the Palm Beach Appeals Court, Love Thy Neighbor won, and Fort Lauderdale’s laws against feeding the homeless were declared unconstitutional.

Love Thy Neighbor won. Jesus won. And love won. But persecution lost.

Darryl Ward

****
****

There are 21 more sermons by Darryl available on the website sermoncentral.com

****
****

From archived comments on the website stuff.co.nz, the most popular news website in New Zealand.

DARRYL WARD

Raumati Beach

It's fathers who will suffer
Principal Family Court Judge Peter Boshier's reported claims that the Family Court will jail parents who disobey domestic protection or parenting orders must be regarded as more persecution of fathers, because I can guarantee that it will be only male parents who are subjected to these penalties.

**

DARRYL WARD

Raumati Beach

Perhaps in future, each time before Parliament sits, members could view the television advertisment relating to anti-violence.

****
****


****
****

He has a masters degree in theology. A degree in communications and PR that took him 20 years to finish. He was a lay minister at the Anglican Church. And I think that he is/was very, very left wing. He was also a punk. That is he loved punk rock.

According to Amanda, he was a hardcore men’s rights advocate and father’s rights advocate back in the day. And he hated and loathed the family courts.

His wife Natasha is Russian, and often wore a t-shirt with a hammer and sickle on it. I’m not sure if that is meaningful.

I am still writing the main story!! And so this is just a small part of it!!

****
****

Here is a picture showing you where I was living and where Darryl was living. He is living literally a stone’s throw away from my house. Amanda and I went there a fair bit. I lived at 17 Princeton Rows from 2013 to 2023. Ten years. At any point he could have just talked to me in plain clear English. He knew that I was unwell. And you can see clearly the sermons he has written.


****
****


Sally: Tell me about them.


David: I met them in early 2007. This was after I got back from the USA and Europe. This was after Amanda and I were already engaged. Amanda and I got engaged back in late 2006.


I had actually seen Darryl once before, fishing for eels from the bridge across the Raumati stream while walking back from Amanda’s place. Strangely enough, this was on the very same day that Amanda and I got engaged. I didn’t know him at the time, and I don’t know if I recognised him, so I didn’t say hello. Which is a strange story, but such is life.


But anyway, I met them all for the first time early in 2007. Amanda and I visited them at their house on Margaret Road, Raumati Beach. They made a fairly good impression. And they seemed nice.


The next point I want to make is that I realise it was an unusual thing for a young woman to just all of a sudden just get engaged, even for a young Christian woman who had recently converted to Christianity, but they seemed to cope just fine. Again, I want to acknowledge that it was kind of a crazy thing for a young woman of only 18 to just all of a sudden be engaged to be married. And I acknowledge that I hadn’t even met her fathers’s side of the family first! And so at the time I had felt that it could have been considered a little bit offensive. But they didn’t protest or make a fuss. (Now in hindsight, they were all scumbags and fakes. And they knew that Amanda was a parasite and a fake Christian, and all of them were in on it.)


My view of things at the time is that Amanda had had a troubled background, and gone off the rails a bit in school, converted to Christianity, and then she and I had then got engaged (and then married). And that now we were the slightly unusual fundamentalist Christian couple in the family. And that maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing that Amanda had converted to Christianity and that she and I were together! This next bit is only tangentially related, but Amanda also told me often that without me, she might not have survived. She claimed that she had been very depressed and suicidal back when we first got together. And that she relied on me to keep her sane (more about that later). And that without me and without becoming a Christian she may have killed herself. I thought in some ways that I had been a good influence on Amanda, and had also been instrumental in her choice to become a Christian.


Anyway, I liked visiting their house. And sometimes Amanda and I went to her father’s church instead of the CCC.


Natasha and her mother used to cook Russian fried potatoes for me (which I liked). Amanda raved about the fried potatoes. They were just fried potatoes and onions in a frying pan, but they were pretty nice. I liked the fried potatoes so much that I asked for their recipe/instructions. And once I learned how to make them, I used to make them for Amanda and me sometimes, but I admit that Natasha and her mother did a better job of it, even though mine were nice too. Darryl used to make tofu, which Amanda loved. And Luda made plov sometimes, which I quite liked. And she even gave some to Amanda sometimes when I wasn’t there, so that Amanda could take some home for me. She used to make it with chickpeas, meat and carrots in it. I appreciated this. They were welcoming to me. And offering people is an important part of hospitality and kindness for Russians, or so it seems.


Back when I first met his side of the family, they lived right beside St Mark’s Anglican Church. Right beside it. There was a gate to walk through to get from the church to the house and back again. You didn’t have to go out to the street. You just walked through the gate. He preached at the church sometimes. He was a lay minister at the church (to be a lay minister means he hadn’t been ordained, and wasn’t a formal part of church leadership). Amanda and I used to go to this church sometimes. A fair bit actually. And not just when Darryl was preaching either. It would be the four of us. Me, Amanda, Maria and Darryl. It was a small church. Maria would play with the toys in the kids area at the back of the room. She was three or four years old. Amanda and I would listen to the sermon, recite the stuff from the liturgy book, and sing the hymns. We shook the hand of the main minister in the way out of the church service. And then we went to have tea and a biscuit in the little building just behind the church and we would socialise with the other parishioners. This is the norm in New Zealand churches (tea, coffee or a biscuit).


After that we went through the gate to Darryl and Natasha’s home to visit for a while. And we would spend time with that side of the family. By the way, they were living extremely close to where Amanda and her mother normally lived (5 Weka Road). And so even in 2007 and 2008 we saw them a fair bit.


By the way, before becoming Christian he’d had a bad past (alcohol especially), and so I believed that his becoming a Christian to have been a massive improvement for him. Amanda seemed to think that he was still not such a good person.


Here is some gossip and background information at the time… Maria had recently suffered bad burns from reaching up to the stove and pulling down boiling water onto herself. Natasha had got in a bunch of trouble for driving while under the influence of (prescription) drugs and crashing her car into someone. And nearly got deported. The drugs were for back and neck pain. She later cured her back and neck pain by walking for an hour on the beach every day. 


Darryl in the past


Amanda’s father used to be a punk rocker. His band was called “goat rider”. I don’t like punk. I think that the music is lame. Their house was very cold and damp, physically. They moved house sometime around 2009, but I can’t remember exactly when. They moved to Hulme Way.


They called Maria their little monkey.


Did we see them much in 2007 and 2008? The answer is… yes, a bit. We saw them a fair bit. We visited sometimes for tea or food. And we used to go to their church too. We were family. Natasha was a good host and quite welcoming. And I enjoyed talkig to her. She was intelligent. And how much did we see them in 2009-2011? Again, a fair bit. I’m not quite remembering the exact chronology. But we used to see them at their place. And sometimes they came to 5 Weka Road. Amanda went there a lot as well.


[[[they invited us to a party in 2010, which I went to]]] - talk about this.


I want to talk more about Darryl for a bit. Do you mind? I already spoke about him earlier.


Sally: No, of course I don’t mind.


David: I don’t know where to start with Darryl.


Lesley had bad mouthed Darryl before I even got to know him. Lesley told me that Darryl was no good, and Amanda told me that he had been a terrible father and that the only reason that she had a relationship with them at all was because of Maria (and Natasha).


He was my father-in-law. He was an Anglican minister when I met him, but when he was younger, he was a punk, an alcoholic, and a wastrel in general. He liked punk music. He grew up in a Christian household. But when he discovered punk, it was like everything was different to him. He said something like that, “everything changed”. It’s like he decided to be a different type of person. And so he became a punk. He lived like a bit of a punk for a while. And he became an alcoholic and used to drink a lot. I honestly can’t understand why someone would feel that hearing punk and being exposed to punk culture would be so meaningful, but to them sometimes it feels and tastes like freedom. They like the idea of rebellion. He later became a Christian. But when he became a Christian he became an Anglican. And he was also a liberal Christian. Not a conservative, an evangelical or a fundamentalist. He was also quite a bit left wing. I wasn’t. I was a hardcore libertarian and pro-capitalist. By the way, my point of view was that capitalism is good because it delivers the goods, lifts people out of poverty and mostly because it isn’t communism. Libertarianism was good because it was the antithesis of communism and Nazism and fascism. And having read a lot of holocaust literature and some literature about communism also (I read about the great famine and the cultural revolution, especially in the book Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang) I had come to believe that the number one political priority globally is just to avoid stupid and insane things like communism and Nazism and fascism and other forms of lunatic totalitarianism. I viewed Marxism as a form of mental illness, or possibly a disease of the soul. Anyone who understood economics (or reality, or history) understands that Marxism is completely retarded and extraordinarily dangerous. Anyway, he was left wing. I wasn’t. I was a fanatical libertarian, a pro-capitalist, and extremely anti-totalitarian and fairly anti-authoritarian. I was the opposite to his type of Christian. I’m not sure if that is relevant. Anyway. He was mild in personality, very quiet. He was badly overweight and quickly becoming obese when I met him. He ended up becoming quite obese. He was balding and blonde and wore glasses. He looked about 10 years older than he was.


He seemed to me to be fairly (moderately) intelligent to me at the time. I don’t know if that’s true though. Setting that aside, he had dropped out of university when he was young though, with only a little bit of study left to graduate. And he just didn’t have his degree. He didn’t finish it until years later, and then he finished it by distance through the open polytechnic. For work he worked as a magazine editor at the nursing council. He did layouts or something. I saw some of his work, and I felt that it was perfectly acceptable. He liked making Turkish coffee. It was one of his hobbies. He doted on his younger daughter. Amanda was envious of the relationship that they had, I think. “Maria got the nice Darryl, the fun Darryl”. He liked catching eels at the stream, and sometimes made smoked eel. He took Maria with him eeling sometimes (often?). She seemed to like eeling, and would have a bucket full of eels sometimes.


He later graduated from university as an adult. He finished his undergraduate degree through the open polytechnic of New Zealand on his laptop at home. He got a Bachelor of Arts majoring in communications, with some sort of extra communications diploma. He also later completed a masters degree in theology and/or ministry (or a licentiate?). He got this through The Ecumenical Institute for Distance Theological Studies (EIDTS). He has worked in various kinds of ministry.


I should mention that he didn’t learn to drive until late in life (afraid, flustered at intersections).


He has a bad back. And at one point it was so bad that he had to sleep on the floor for extended periods of time.


Back when Amanda was young he had massive conflicts with Lesley over custody. They were both terrible people. He lost in court a fair bit, and ended up being excluded as a parent. He started doing spurious lawsuits against Lesley and her parents. It was expensive. He would do things like steal lemons from Natalie and Ken’s lemon tree. And then Natalie would react, and then take him to court, and then he would represent himself. And it would cost her lots of money in legal fees. They were all bizarre and horrible people. He also had some problems with tax evasion.


He got into father’s rights ministry. Trying to fight for the rights of fathers. Which seems odd to me?


Here is a paper he wrote about pastoral care for excluded fathers. He seems to have written it as part of a theology qualification.


https://www.howcommunicate.com/extra-uploads-darryl-s-paper-on-pastoral-care-for-excluded-fathers


He used to campaign and argue for the rights of excluded fathers. He was really into it! In spite of being a massive alcoholic back when he lost custody and visitation (at least that’s how I think it went).


He also hated homosexuals, not that that’s relevant. He called it “same sex attraction disorder” and called AIDS “gay related immune dysfunction”.


And one more thing, Amanda told me that she hated visiting him when she was young. And she hated it so much that she would hold on to the bannisters at her grandparents house to avoid being dragged to the car. I’m not sure how much this is her being dishonest or melodramatic. Andy how much of it was her mother turning her against her father and how much of it was her father’s home just being horrible. But Amanda clearly didn’t like visiting her father when she was young.


*


He lost contact with Amanda for periods of times. Or was paternally excluded or something. He was excluded as a parent. I think that is what happened. He had a lot of trouble with custody. He was also drinking heavily at the time.


At one point he moved to Latin America. And then he came back just for Amanda. He said, I would have stayed there forever, but I had to come back for your sake. He used it as a guilt trip on Amanda (according to Amanda).


He also got into death row ministry, but that came much later in life. Maybe 2014? But I can’t recall exactly when that happened.


Here is a link talking about his death row ministry:


https://web.archive.org/web/20220120044602/http://dismas.tk/


**


He also started preaching at the Anglican church.


And here is a page linking you to his sermons:


https://sermoncentral.com/contributors/darryl-ward-profile-61924


Lesley and Darryl experienced a lot of conflict in their life. They buried the hatchet eventually. Amanda also used Maria as a tool to try to forge closer ties between the two sides of her family (she took her little sister to her Nana’s place to meet Ken and Natalie. And then later took her to meet Lesley and Shane and spend time with them).


***


Here is his punk act:


https://youtu.be/fzIUTdVSfx8?si=PS526YO_Chy1xefu


In this video Darryl sings some punk music very badly, and then rides on a rocking horse with a goat’s skull on it, breathes fire, and then eventually lights his hair on fire. A band mate puts out the fire.


**


He was born and raised in New Plymouth where is mother Kathleen still lived.


According to his website he now works for a child protection organisation.


He wrote a paper about the use of pastoral care for excluded fathers. I already linked to it above, but there is that link again.


https://www.howcommunicate.com/extra-uploads-darryl-s-paper-on-pastoral-care-for-excluded-fathers


**


Darryl’s website:


You can access his website on the waybackmachine. The url is theword.tk


https://web.archive.org/web/20220129064455/http://theword.tk/


**


Darryl’s sermons


You can find his sermons on sermoncentral here:


https://sermoncentral.com/contributors/darryl-ward-profile-61924


They will help you to understand his incredible hypocrisy.


I think that he’s basically a fake and otherwise good for nothing. Very self centred. Just look at his sermons and you’ll see. Also, he lived 2 minutes away from my house where I was crippled for 7 years and didn’t help me.


That’s all for Darryl for now. I will tidy it up later.



*****

*****
























Copy and pasting some stuff that fell in the cutting room floor, just for the sake of completeness:







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start here - Table of contents

Reposting the page drop box of garbage v3: edited

Faraday Barn