Emails with my mother

This is a post containing virtually all of the emails sent between my mother and I from the 22/11/2006 until 11/08/2007.

I'll add more in later. It is a work in progress.

It is very, very long.

It’s a reference material. You don’t have to read it.

And it isn’t finished.




From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 22/11/2006
Subject: Re: Some exciting news!


Dear David,

This is unexpected!! I am in shock & in tears at the hostel...
 
Congratulations & I am glad you are happy together.
 
I would urge you not to rush into getting married, you are so young, as my parents told me when we got married, & you are even younger.
 
But whatever you decide you have my support as I know what it is like to not have support or approval from parents, & it would have made a huge difference. It also made a difference for me this time around that you gave your approval of Arnold & I when we got engaged.
 
I will call when I get back to France. It would be nice to talk to Amanda too. For goodness sake, I havent even seen a photo!!
 
Still in shock.... how is your Dad??
 
much love, Mum
 
P.S. No Visas required for France, just for marriage... its a bigger journey.
 


 
----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: [Tedge-email-address]
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:13:37 AM
Subject: Some exciting news!

I proposed to Amanda on Sunday and she said yes!

She has a ring on her finger and we are engaged, I've never been happier.

I'm going to miss her so much when I'm in France.. Anyway, see you soon.


Ps: Do I need to apply for Visa's to go to France?







*****************
*****************
*****************

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 28/11/2006
Subject: Yo David

Hi David,
well actually G&G rang us. I normally ring them every week or two, & hadn't in a while but I was putting off ringing them so you would have plenty of time to tell them yourself. By then plenty of time had passed, so I thought I was pretty safe in asking Grandpa if you had rung them & he said no, & then he wanted to know why you would be ringing him, did the whole "its not fair" because we wouldn't tell him... Actually I thought we were doing you a favour in telling them, I thought you might have been too scared of their reaction to call them, or just not got around to it! Sorry if you were upset.

I suggest you tell Amanda's father & grandparents pretty quick because the longer you leave it the more chance of them hearing somehow, & then they will be disappointed you didn't tell them sooner.

I'm happy you have met someone who you love, know she's the one (& she feels the same about you?) & that you are happy together.  It is a precious thing, something to hold onto & nurture & build on, once reality/life/pressures/work/financial stress/kids etc set in. Something a friend said to me:

<<All you can do, is say to your children what I said to mine, "Don't look
for someone you think you can live with. Look for someone you know you
couldn't live without. Now picture that person sick and/or severely scarred
for life and ask yourself, 'Will I still think she's the most beautiful
person I ever saw and will I still feel I can't live without her?' If your
heart answers that question the right way, you have my blessing.">>

So I hope she really is the one you can't live without. It is the way I feel about Arnold, I would hate to ever have to be without him. 

I would add that in my opinion it is essential, absolutely essential, to have some interests in common as well as some individual interests, to enjoy the same sorts of holidays (will she want to go camping while you want to stay in a hotel?), to have the same goals & aims in life because it is difficult to build a strong marriage when you are pulling in different directions.

"They" (the experts?!)  say that the initial feelings of "in love" start to fade after a couple of years, hopefully to be replaced by a deeper & more lasting love, & it is perhaps the reason why we have an engagement period, so we can make that final commitment of marriage when our minds are clearer. 

For your dad & I, we met a lot of resistance when we got engaged, which made us all the more determined to get married. I was 19, second year uni & just out of hospital after my transplant, he was 22. We felt cocooned & safe in our love for each other, just the two of us against the world, like we knew everything, could achieve anything, like nothing would ever change, & we would show those people who told us that we were too young & shouldn't get married so soon. It took me years to realise there was some sense it what they said & that perhaps there wasn't so much need to hurry.

But what they didn't do was offer any positive support when we decided to go ahead with getting married. Nana was the only one who supported us really. Grandpa didn't even come to the wedding reception, & it was only 16(?) years later at J&J's wedding that he finally voiced his acceptance of your dad. He realised it was too little, too late, but there we are. 

Yes I think you are very young to be making this step, & hope you will take at least a couple of years to get to know each other, experience living out in the big wide world, & also develop interests & hobbies individually & together, before you get married. 

You said you didn't care what people think, you know what you want. I can understand this feeling, it is a natural reaction to people's reactions to your engagement. I would strongly recommend though that you do listen to those who have "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" because although you may think your situation is unique, it is not, & there are people (your parents for example!!) who will be able to offer you helpful advice. It is up to you to listen & decide which advice to pick up on. Just don't reject it outright. Anyway, we can talk when you get here.

The last thing your dad & I want to do is leave you out in the cold without emotional support, as we were. Whenever you decide to get married, I can assure you that having your parents' support will only help you. We all want only the best for you. I talked to your dad last night, waking him up at 7.30am, LOL!

From all I've heard, Amanda sounds really nice, & yes I wish I could meet her. (But no I can't fly her to France, LOL!!)  I am feeling very much out of the loop over here & last week just wanted to hop on a plane for NZ. I would love to have some photos. G&G have sent a couple, but more would be good. Do you have photos from the ball? 

I don't know when I will be in NZ. The company gives me a free trip back each year to see you & Matthew. Arnie is suggesting March because he will be in USA/Japan/China for 3 weeks then for work. So either March or September I will go to NZ. I will also need to organise things for our wedding while I am there, though we have not much idea of where/when/what yet. Probably Jan 2008.

We have email & Skype here, so you will be able to keep in contact with Amanda. Does she have a computer/internet? Best if she uses Skype too as then it is freeeeeee! Do you have a mobile phone? If you want to use it at all here, Vodafone only, you will have to set it up before you leave NZ. But I wouldn't recommend relying on a mobile phone overseas unless you want to be broke. I'm sure you will miss her, awwwwwwww!! For me, 3 weeks apart from Arnold was very painful, despite the distractions of trips to London & Barcelona.

How're the exams going? I heard that scholarship physics was tougher than tough, but the rest have been OK. Hope the rest go OK too, how many to go now? Study hard, don't get too distracted!!

Time for lunch now.

Will email later about travel & stuff.

love Mum






----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 5:35:46 AM
Subject: Hi Mum.

Hey Mum, I heard you told Grandpa and Grandma. I would preferred that I were 
left to tell them.. Or, at the very least, you had asked my permission to 
tell them. But anyway, things are great. Matthew taught Amanda to play table 
tennis. I would prefer that not too many people know, this is mostly because 
her grandparents and father do not yet know. And I wouldn't like them to 
hear from someone else, she would also be rather upset.. I'll send you some 
photo's of her. I wish you could meet her.. You'd probably get along with 
her very well. When are you likely to be in New Zealand? If only you could 
have flown her to France lol.

And about us being young. It would have made no difference when I asked 
her.. I know she's the one for me. The way I see it, we've both made up our 
minds, and no amount of time will change that.













******
******

[this email isn’t important, it’s just for context]

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Wednesday, 6/12/2006
Subject: Fw: Urgent New EU Wide Hand Baggage Restrictions effective 6th November 2006


Hi David & Matthew,
here are the baggage requirements regarding liquids if you have to carry any & also the size of hand luggage, but this is Ryanair so you will want to check your own travel documents as it may be the same size but only 7kg.


----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Ryanair Travel Advisory <info@frsc.net>
To: tej88@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:04:30 AM
Subject: Urgent New EU Wide Hand Baggage Restrictions effective 6th November 2006

New EU Wide Hand Baggage Restrictions effective 6/11/06 

New European Union hand baggage security restrictions will take effect on all flights to and from EU/EEA airports from the 6th November 2006 onwards.  Consequently, from this date, passenger hand baggage containing any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics MUST be presented at the airport passenger security point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity (e.g. freezer bag with resealable top 20cm x 20cm). Only gels, pastes, lotions and liquid cosmetics in containers of 100mls or less will be permitted through the passenger security screening points at all EU/EEA Airports, please note there is a limit of one transparent resealable plastic bag per person*. 

Liquids include: 
Contents of pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foams, water and other drinks, soups, syrups, deodorants, creams, lotions and oils pastes -  including toothpaste, perfumes, liquid-solid mixtures, sprays, mascara, gels -  including hair and shower gels, any other item of similar consistency

We strongly recommend that if you must carry any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics (up to 100ml max per item) in your hand baggage that they should be packed in the required transparent, re-sealable bag…before arriving at the airport

You can still: 
Carry in hand baggage - baby food or medicines needed during the flight.  These items should be packed in a separate resealable plastic bag and presented at the airport passenger security point.

Pack liquids, creams, gels, pastes etc. into checked in bags that are carried in the hold of the aircraft.  These new rules only apply to hand baggage. 

General Information on Ryanair's Hand Baggage Allowances
Each passenger is permitted to carry one piece of hand luggage to a maximum weight of 10kgs and with dimensions no greater than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. In order that you and your baggage can be accepted for travel, please ensure that baggage is within the required weight and dimensions to carry on board.












*******
*******

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Wednesday, 6/12/2006
Subject: Fw: Urgent New EU Wide Hand Baggage Restrictions effective 6th November 2006


Hi Matthew & David, (especially Matthew who has more time at the moment to do these things)

Only a few days now till you leave!! Very exciting, & I can't wait to see you both.

I hope you have a good time in the States with the cuzzies.

I was talking to you yesterday morning about where you will keep passport/money/tickets safely while traveling.  In your hand-luggage is no good, if you take off your bag & don't watch for a second it can be gone. If it is a small backpack, best to carry it on your front where it won't get unzipped or slashed.

An inside pocket of your coat might be OK, but only if you don't take off your coat at all. Some of us are prone to walking away leaving coats on chairs....

Definitely don't put your passport/wallet/tickets in an open trouser pocket or anything like that. It will all be gone, especially if you are in a crowd.

I will like you to get 2 money belts which will also fit your passports & tickets. Matthew, is there a travel shop nearby? They will be able to help you. See what you can get, & I will send you the money after. I will also send you $200 each for clothes or whatever. 

It would be a good idea to take a scanned copy of your passports with you, keeping it somewhere separate from your actual passport. Just in case you lose your passport. But don't lose your passport!!!! Please!!!

You both have full travel insurance, including medical, so feel free to go to the doctor in USA!! or in Europe. You should have all the details with your travel stuff, & there will be a little card with the numbers to ring in case of various emergencies. I can't remember the exact details, but it should cover all bases.

I am really worried about you traveling alone, can you tell!!! But please be careful, make sure you don't lose stuff, don't miss your planes, don't get distracted or lost!! David, don't get involved reading something & forget the time.

I just want you to get here in one piece, & will be so glad to finally see you. It has been so long, I can't stand it.

What else? Remember not to make any jokes to airline staff about bombs, they take jokes seriously, & chances are you won't be getting on the plane.

I'm sure there are other things I need to say. I only got 3 hours sleep last night after a grotty day so my brain is mush. So I will stop there & write again if there is anything else. Oh yes, what do you want for Christmas? All David could come up with is "I want a castle". 

That reminds me, we joined us all to the YHA (youth hostels association) because there are some really neat castles where we could stay in Germany but only if we joined the YHA. This means you can also stay in hostels anywhere in the world, some are cooler than others, LOL. Plus there are discounts & stuff on other things but I haven't looked at that properly. We didn't have time to join the NZ YHA & have cards sent to you before you left, so we joined the German YHA (Arnold didn't trust the french one!). This means that I am Frau Solt & you are mannlichs, which I guess means little men?

I procrastinated too long on booking airfares to Barcelona, & they doubled overnight. Now considering options as I was planning to also drive you around some of Normandy/Brittany, but the weather is getting more & more miserable up here & the days so short, so it is a pity, it would be nice except in the depths of winter, but maybe south would be better now. If we have the energy we can go up to the Normandy war beaches & museums, if we can fit this in. Also my driving is not the best (no comments please!) as my right eye is continually more clouded & tires easily, so the most I usually drive in one day is an hour, 2 at a stretch but it doesn't feel safe by then.

OK, so I need to get onto doing booking for flights & accommodation now. Procrastinate no longer.

love Mum




***********
***********

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Wednesday, 11/12/2006
Subject: Fw: Urgent New EU Wide Hand Baggage Restrictions effective 6th November 2006

Hi David, 
good to hear (from Wendy also) that you have arrived safely.
But why are you bored?
I hope you have fun there, & don't get too bored!!
We're looking forward to seeing you, & have lots of (hopefully) exciting destinations to take you to.
I'll ring later when you are awake.
love Mum

----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge Email; hard_kande@hotmail.com; jessiehndy@yahoo.co.nz; assan_tariq@paradise.net.nz; shortlintu@yahoo.com
[note: Jess Mackenzie, Jessie Hendy, Nathan Thatcher aka NATO, Grace.
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 5:30:11 AM
Subject: I'm now in America

Hi ppl. I am now in America. And I'm bored.

*******
*******


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Thursday, 11/12/2006
Subject: Re: About Europe


Hi David,
hows it going over there?
I tried to ring you on Skype about 11am your time but got Chris at work. He rang home but said nobody was there.
I will try again tonight, a bit earlier your time, or you can ring me. You are 9 hours behind so between 8am & 12am your time is probably the most likely times we would be online, so just check & see if we are green!

I'm not sure the exact days we will be in Munich, but the plan so far is to leave here on Thurs 21st Dec, returning home on Sat 6th Dec via Paris to pick Matthew up from the airport/aeroport/flughafen. (16 or 17 days total)
Do you have a map? Or use Michelin on net. 
We will stay the first night at a chambre d'hĂ´te somewhere around Metz or Nancy (west France), then carry on across probably thru Karlsruhe to visit friends, then Nurnberg where Arnold lived for 2 years, then I guess Munchen (Munich), then through to Austria, probably Salzberg, not as far as Vienna unfortunately. We may go find some snow along the way, are you up for a little skiing? Then we will meander back, so maybe we will be going to Munich on the way back instead, I am not sure, maybe Switzerland?? It looks close on the map but I guess not.
We need to firm up our plans tonight, & also make some bookings if there are still places available to stay!! We will stay in castles where possible. We have been really busy looking for cars & so on, & trying to get stuff sorted at work, so haven't made holiday bookings yet.

Have you been in contact with Taras yet? Find out when he is around to see if we can tie it in. 

The rest of the itinerary, for after Matthieu arrives, is under way. Airfares are booked, accommodation in the first 2 places is booked, but having trouble with the other two. I booked a hotel at one place then they rang me this morning to say there was a mistake on the website & that price was per PERSON per night, not per room per night. Hence the price is tripled, not such a good deal after all, LOL, but they will refund the deposit & I will have to look again. Groan, it is not easy, even hostels are expensive, IF you can find one. I thought I was doing well finding that hotel.

So back to the drawing board, (I hate the internet now...) & I will send you the itinerary as soon as I am done.

This Sunday we are going to near Paris for a Christmas lunch with the PDL refugees club. Arnold is going orienteering with a friend south Paris in the morning, so we will trundle around for 4 hours till lunchtime, find some stuff to see & do.

The good news is that we have a car for the next 2 months. Our current car expired 2 days ago but we have hung onto it because they are so inefficient & have not requested it back. But Arnold had a meeting this morning with the new Human Relations guy who was appalled at the salary & conditions they have given Arnold, is going to try & remedy that, & as given us a car for the next 2 months, so phew! we have more time to buy one. It will be a smaller car, & should arrive today (which means tomorrow in french) so we will have to give our zappy Megane back. At least we will have a car, so I won't have to walk 100km to get you, & back again...

OK gotta go search hotels/hostels/sheds again.

Say Hi to Matthew from me!!
talk later,
Mum




**********
**********


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 19/12/2006
Subject: Re: About Europe



Bonjour Ă  tous,

How are you?

well it's been an exhausting few weeks since my last email. Arnold came back late on the 2nd Nov from his sailing trip at Marseilles, he had a great time, not a whole lot of sailing due to the weather, but made a new friend, a Romanian guy who lives in Paris. The next morning he dropped me at Vernon station to catch the train to Paris & Eurostar to London. Meanwhile he left for a work trip to the UK & Canada, & we didn't see each other for a whole 3 weeks after that as I was in Barcelona when he returned. At last we are reunited, & I am so happy to see him again!

London
I set off for London with some trepidation, being my first solo overseas (underseas?) trip to a big scary foreign country... don't laugh!!! Somehow I've just never travelled by myself to another country. Caught the train to Paris, tramped across Paris to Gare de Nord & found the Eurostar platform. It was quite strange going through check-in, one minute they are saying Bonjour as they check your passport, then the next desk its all "Hello" in english accents. It was like I was already in London. The Eurostar takes about 2.5 hours to get to London, & the underwater part doesn't really take long at all, maybe 20 minutes. I tried to recognise Tonbridge (where I was born & lived on & off till I was 7) as the train whizzed through, but without success. Ironically, the couple across the aisle were from NZ, so I chatted to them in english & to the man next to me in frenglish.

At Waterloo station, I bought a 7 day open ticket for all transport, & managed to find my way by trains to the Barking flatlet where I would stay for 3 nights. The flat was rather more dismal than the photos on the internet showed, but mostly functional apart from the oven which was more of a gentle warmer than a cooker. Oh well. It's a very multi-cultural area, night-time markets & Halal kebab bars. In the upstairs flat, 3 american masters students were staying, so I had a bit of company, & we climbed onto the supermarket carpark building the last night I was there, to watch an amazing array of fireworks all over north-east London. 

The first night I arrived, I went exploring to get out of the dismal flat & to get used to the confusing train system. So I hopped on a train for Fenchurch St Station... why? Because it sounded familiar... why? Because it's on the monopoly board, I realised later! From there I did some accidental tourism: I walked down the road & found a big castly thing... hmmm... must be the Tower of London! Round another corner was the river & a huge towery bridgey thingy. Tower bridge perhaps? By then I had lost Fenchurch station, so found another station & went somewhere in some direction... a few trains later I was getting a bit more familiar with the train system, & when I got a map the next day it was even simpler.

As I don't have a mobile phone (I'll explain why later), it was difficult to contact Arnold, or friends in London. It took me till the next day to find an internet cafe that was open, & to phone anyone I had to walk down to the station & use the payphones. These are vicious machines which eat money faster than you can feed it in when trying to call a mobile phone number, & don't give change even on a short local call. Several pounds lighter (money, not weight), I gave up & hopped on a train to inner London & miraculously managed to find the street Ger & Jono were staying, but not having a street number it was hopeless. Some split second timing with emails in a nearby internet cafe meant I managed to catch up with them a few blocks away. We spent the day tramping around London, seeing the sights (Tower of London, Tower bridge, London Eye etc), & getting sore feet & blisters. I was exhausted! A long dinner with Ger's Irish cousins & old London friends, nice people. Back to Tate Modern, not to see any artworks, but to slide down the huge tube-slides they have installed there. They go from 5 floors up, wheeeeeee!!!

I spent a day with Sally (she is my ex-husband's mother's cousin's daughter, real close relative!). She stayed with us a couple of days in France a month before, near the end of a crazy 4 month Europe tour. We arranged earlier by email a time & place to meet in London, so no cellphones required. They are handy, but prevent the need to be organised. We had a nice day wandering round Portobello market, poking round the funny antique stalls, & looking at second hand clothes shops which I'd heard where really good, but still didn't manage to buy anything. I am so hopeless at shopping!!

I stayed the next 4 nights with my cousin Hilary, her husband Ian & boys Andrew & William. We went for a walk in a foresty parky place nearby, & it was such a refreshing change after the busy noisy London city streets. The boys have grown heaps since I saw them in NZ about 6 years ago! They were watching rugby,  England vs All Blacks, so of course I had to cheer the AB's , despite the threat of sleeping outside in the air-raid shelter. I haven't the slightest interest in rugby, but gotta be patriotic when in a "foreign" country. Ha!! I also met cousin Simon who I haven't seen since we were about 7 & 8, & his wife & kids. It was great to catch up with them all & we will hopefully see each other again soon in France or England. 

The following days I explored London by myself, although I would have really rather stayed in bed & read a book! The thought of all those people, traffic, noise wasn't appealing, & I had to force myself to go into the city each day. I found the British museum accidentally when I was at London University looking for an old school friend who lectures there, & I also spent hours at the Natural History museum. There was so much to see & do, lots of interactive games & activities, though there were many small noisy children also wanting to play "my" games! I walked down The Mall to see Buckingham Palace, but it wasn't terribly thrilling, no changing of the guards that day. I thought about going to Madame Toussards wax museum, but at £25 entry, thats about NZ$70, I don't think so!!

By the last day, I sought refuge in Regents Park, away from the hustle & bustle, not many people around. I found a quiet garden area & just sat & enjoyed the peacefulness. I'm not a city person, so I can only take so much without a break. I certainly would never want to live in London! Also, I thought food/clothes in France were expensive (twice as much as NZ), but I hadn't seen London prices! Try about 3 times NZ prices in general, especially lunches at cafes. As a consequence I didn't eat much during the day, just crackers, bread & fruit, so was a bit run-down by the time I got back to France. 

Empty house syndrome
I had a lonely week without Arnold (yeah, ok, put away the violins) but the 3 calls from friends in NZ/Canada really helped. Thanks girls! By the way, if anyone does call here & get our answerphone, it is in German, so you may not understand it. I don't know what it says either.

But I did manage to get some admin done, like going & having a battle with the bank over fees they shouldn't have charged us. First I had to spend several hours translating papers to make sure there wasn't any "small print".  It is all OK now, but our first bank here was a nightmare: it took 6 weeks to get a working credit/debit card for Arnold, (2 weeks is normal here) & after 8 weeks I gave up on mine & we opened another account at the helpful bank across the road. We had our cards in a week. If Arnie hadn't had a German account, we would have had real problems. At the first bank, the staff were rude, & no apologies for the inconvenience. I was in there at least twice a week to tell them the card didn't work, (La carte ne marche pas!!) but each time they would send another code by mail (wait a few days) which still didn't work. They also couldn't manage to give us a workable code for accessing our account by internet.  We'd like to close the first account, but have been told that costs €100 to do!! What? Hooray for New Zealand banks, everything is so simple there.

A major step forward was the arrival of our "Carte Vitales". These are the cards which give us access to the public health system. Private insurance through Arnold's work covers the rest. Because my medical costs in particular are considerable, this is a very important thing for us. We tried to organise it before we left NZ, but supplying all the required documents, & naively expected to have the cards on our arrival in France. But no, it was 5 months of stress. Every week, at they would send another letter requiring another document that they hadn't thought of before. After 3 months, they asked for all of the documents again, but in french this time!! So I painstakingly translated about 10 pages, checked them over with my french teacher, & sent them in. But silly me, they needed to be officially translated, so away they went to Strasbourg. Four months in now & they say they have all the documents & it will be 3 months till we get our cards. Groan! Meanwhile the medical bills mounted up, & it involved a lot of paperwork each month, & visits to the grumpy women at Social Security to get reimbursements. So it was a big surprise when it only took another month for Arnold's card to arrive. Yippee! Finally we feel we will actually be able to stay in France, it takes away one uncertainty.

Unfortunately they put the wrong first name on mycard, rendering it useless. I have had to return it, & may never get another one, we will see. They also had the right first name but wrong last name on another paper. So now I am 3 different people. I gave them my birth-certificate & other papers for the 5th time, & now we wait again. Fortunately I can use Arnold's card in the meantime, as the paper accompanying it has both our names correctly. I spend a lot of time at the pharmacy, as the paperwork is considerable, even with the card now. To pick up prescriptions once or twice a month, I have to set aside around half/3 quarters hour each time. In France you don't drop off your prescription & come back in 10 minutes, you wait at the counter while they prepare it, make multiple copies of papers, & stick labels all over the place. The Pharmaciennes (Pharmacists) are the most wonderful ladies. They are the kindest, most patient people we have met in France. They take the time to speak slowly to us, repeat themselves, make sure we have understood. Occasionally they will conjure up an english word too. One has also given me numbers to call & talk to other ex-pats, as well as her home number if I want help with anything at all. If it wasn't for these lovely ladies, I think we would have gone quite insane by now & run away back to NZ. 

When we arrived in France, we looked at getting mobile phones, but none of the deals made any sense& we thought it was just our poor understanding of french. Fortunately Arnie got a phone from work, & I intended to get a Sim Card for his old german phone, especially as I was going to UK & Barcelona & later to other places. After extensive research, much translating & deciphering of pamphlets, I decided that mobile communication in france SUCKS & I am not willing to subscribe to such a ridiculous system just to make probably about 20 texts in a year. I would like to have a phone for emergencies but... it costs NZ$60 just for the Sim card, then you buy credit as in NZ pre-pay... the difference being that it expires eg if you get €5 credit it will expire after one week!!! Then if you don't buy more credit within a month, your sim card will be invalid. €10 will expire after 3 weeks if not used, etc... The really bizarre part is that you'd end up paying more per month than the cheapest contract. I told the man in the shop this mng  "c' est bizarre!! En Nouvelle Zelande etc etc"   Mais pas en France....
Hence I have no mobile phone, which can be a pain at times, but I have got used to it & try to organise meetings with friends beforehand by email. Better really. I've heard that there are moves to change the system to a more reasonable one, so maybe in a couple of years...

Barcelona
In honour of Arnold still being away, I went to Barcelona. Ryanair flew me there for €40 return which is obscenely cheap. (The carpark cost more than the flights, I guess they have to make their money somehow). If you catch them on the right day, it could be €25 return. But if you need to change tickets at last minute, could be €300.
I flew into Girona airport, spent an hour trying to retrieve essential medications (injections) which had been confiscated at the french end, they're getting tough now. I met Ger in Girona town, the third country I'd seen her in a month. We explored the town, climbed the fortified walls, took photos of the pretty streets. Our visit was made more interesting by the swarms of policemen/women all over the town. We had our bags searched 4 times. Security was tight because the French premier minister (?) was visiting. I was trying to get away from France!! It took me a while to get used to saying Hola, Buonas Dias, Gracias instead of Bonjour & Merci. 

Girona is 100km from Barcelona itself (its a Ryanair thing...) but an easy 1 hour by train. I booked into my hostel, its a long time since I've stayed in a hostel, & it was an interesting noisy experience, with about a large crowd of 20-somethings. I shared a room with 2 Malaysian girls, & 3 guys (Italian, American, Irish). Basically us "girls" went to bed before midnight & were up at 7, the guys went to bed at 6am after partying hard, & slept till mid-afternoon. I would recommend ear-plugs for hostels, the only way I got to sleep because of all the people in the streets below. My roomies & others asked me every night to go out partying with them, I went once for a couple of hours, but it quickly got boring & I needed my sleep for the full days of sight-seeing! I met Anna again, she lives in Barcelona, & she kindly lent me a mobile phone & some tourist guide books. I found I'd got very used to not having a mobile phone over the last few months, & organised all meetings with friends by email. But I don't have a watch, so the phone was very useful for knowing the time!

Ger & I went to Montserrat, a monastery high up on a spectacular rocky mountain. For photos, you may like to look at:
http://www.coronn.com/TOPOS/spain/montserrat/montserrat_photo.html
http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/montserrat-spain.html
We caught a train inland from Barcelona, then a cable car to the monastery, & a steep funicular railway to the top of the mountain where we went for a walk in the icy winds. I don't think I would like it in winter with the snow & stronger winds, its just too high & remote. This was a whole day trip & we were exhausted by the end of the day.

For me the highlight of Barcelona was the the weird & wacky Gaudi architecture, & particularly Guell Park. 
For pics, try http://www.semyan.com/Post08/Gaudi.htm or http://www.greatbuildings.com/architects/Antonio_Gaudi.html
 We loved the mosaic work at the park, & the amazing pillars. I studied Gaudi's work in art history at tech, & it was great to see it in the flesh... err, stone. I went for a tour of Casa Mila, but didn't go inside Casa Batllo as I'd heard it wasn't worth it though it is spectacular on the outside; & I didn't climb the towers of Sagrada Familia, that famously still unfinished church. Arnold & I climbed the steeple of the Munster cathedral in Ulm (Germany) a few months back, the tallest church in Europe (the world?) all 163m, 768 steps, narrow stone stairs in a spiral. The memory of my extreme vertigo, jellyfied legs, & difficulty coming down the stairs, slowly, one at a time... were enough to remind me not to repeat this feat. For me, terrifying!!

Ger returned to NZ, & I carried on my exploration of Barcelona by myself, teaming up with a French girl for one day, but she drove me nuts wanting to stop all the time because I walk too fast!! As Arnold will tell you, I don't walk very fast now as I tire easily. So for someone else to be walking slower is quite an achievement. But at least it was company. I climbed to the top of Montjuic to visit the 1640 fortified castle which overlooks Barcelona & the sea & was once used to house political prisoners. It now houses a military museum.

Well by now Arnold was back home, his USA trip having been shortened, & although I was enjoying Barcelona, the last 3 days seemed very long as I really wanted to go home now! To escape the city, I took a train down the cost to the small town of Sitges, intending to spend the day there. Of course I wasn't thinking, it was Monday, so all the art galleries, were closed & also most shops & cafes. It was 24degC, & pleasant to walk along the beach paddling in the sea. After 2 hours of exploring the near deserted streets, it was enough, & I headed back to the city. 

The next day, after a morning of very strange art galleries, I headed for Girona airport & back to France. The icy zero degree temps at Beauvais woke up up for the 1 1/2 hour drive home through the countryside, getting there before midnight to see Arnold at last. 

I've enjoyed my travels, it's been good to manage this on my own, but after Barcelona I was thoroughly exhausted & just wanted to sleep for a week & never travel anywhere again! I don't know how people travel continually from place to place for 4 months, 12 months etc. Four days & I'm about done, I need a rest. Must be getting old!!

Boogey the night away
Arnold's co-worker, Paul, invited us to a big work-do, they hold them every year to honour those people who have been there 20, 30, 35 years. He is retiring so was one of the long-servers, but turned up an hour after the awards! Oh well, it was a great evening, nice dinner, & lots of entertainment. In all other aspects, we've found people in France to be very reserved, but when they dragged "volunteers" up the front, there was not a bit of shyness to be seen. It seems every frenchman can sing in tune, dance & act. It was all really hilarious. And when it came time for dancing, the dance-floor was packed in a flash. An excellent evening.

Our social life has picked up a bit now, with a few dinner invitations back & forth. They tend to be a bit confusing. We met a German couple in Paris, they both speak English but by the end of the night while we drove around the city having lost our car (we found it eventually!!) the 3 of them were all speaking German while I was quite oblivious. Last week we had drinks with a couple from work, he is French (speaks french, english, spanish) & she is Venezualan & doesn't speak english. So I spoke french to her, with a little help from him if I got stuck on a word, they spoke Spanish to each other, & he spoke english with Arnold. Occasionally I forgot, & spoke french to Arnold. Well its OK, he speaks german to me by mistake. Tonight we are going there again for  a party of some sort & to meet a workmate who wants help with her english, so if it works out well tonight, I will meet with her twice each week to speak english.

Sprechen Sie Deutsches?
At the end of November, Arnold had to spend a couple of days working in Germany, just across the French border from Strasbourg. I tagged along & had a great time. It is a long drive, but we got to stay in a lovely Gasthof in Friesenheim, & the German food is wonderful. Much more robust than in France, cheaper too. In fact everything there seems to be cheaper than France.

While Arnold spent 2 days working, I spent one day exploring the town of Lahr, has a lovely feeling to it, & I collected lots of info on the town & activities etc, cos who knows we might want to live there one day! Then I went for a drive south through the little German villages, across the Rhine (also French-German border) on the car ferry, & north through lots of French villages & small towns. The French houses are very similar to the German ones, as that part of France has belonged to Germany at various times, but there are noticeable differences as soon as you get across the border to France. The towns & houses are just that bit more rundown, there are derelict houses here & there, there is rubbish on the streets, & people don't clean up after their dogs (not as bad as Paris though). I went into a patisserie to buy a cake, just so I could say bonjour instead of guten tag, then drove back across the bridge to Germany. 

I also spent a day driving to Freiburg, a way to the south. I could have taken the train, but wanted to look at the villages & towns along the way. May have been a mistake, as I got hopelessly lost on the way back. I got tired of just shooting off down the wrong road, so if you'd been in the area at the time, I was the one in the little Renault, parked on the side of the motorway on-ramp, looking at the map trying to work out whether to head for Emmendingen, Herbolzheim, Bad Krozingen or Illkirch Graffenstaden, while other drivers squeezed past me, probably cursing all french drivers (we have french plates of course) but very politely not even honking at me. Freiburg itself is supposed to be lovely, but I was too exhausted to explore much & only spent a couple of hours there. I did manage to buy some jeans & walking shoes, a feat I had not been able to accomplish in France due to the prices there. 

The weekend we spent with several of Arnold's friends from about 15 years ago when he first lived in Germany, plus their wives & in one case new twin babies. Arnold has great taste in friends, & they are all very nice people. Fortunately they all speak English, as my German is limited to Nein, Guten Morgen, Danke, & Haben zie eine toilette? One couple has lived in France for 2 years, so we were able to compare notes. They also lived in a house with dodgy wiring & plumbing, held together with paper-clips. But all very charming. After some discussion, we concluded that charming is another word for a bit derelict. So now, any time there is something in France that is falling to pieces, disorganised, illogical... rather than grumble about it, we just say how charming it is. It is a word we use often now, but it helps with our frequent negativity & frustration!!

It was a good few days, & after a 6 hour drive, it was nice to get back to our charming cottage... 

Etc...
Well the much awaited day arrived on Saturday, bringing my son David with it, & he is now settling into life in France & learning some french words. Matthew is spending some more time with cousins in America, & will arrive at the beginning of January. David finished his secondary education in style with a 3rd in the school. Both boys did exams, so we will look forward to those results in January. We have some traveling around Europe planned for them from now till the end of January, but more about that afterwards.

I will try to get some individual emails out, having been totally hopeless  as usual & not sent a single Christmas card (so don't feel you've been left out!!)  But anyway, I hope you all have a very Happy Christmas, if it is something you celebrate, & a wonderful New Year.

love Tedge, Arnold (& David!)


******
******

And then I was in Europe for a while.

******
******






From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Saturday, 10/02/2007
Subject: Re: hihi

Hi David!

hey, I've been waiting for you to be in contact, I thought you'd forgotten me. So I wasn't going to chase around looking for me, you know where I am. Did you get the msn message I sent shortly after you returned home, about the letters for the student allowance appl? Hopefully those arrived & all was OK there. Please send me the photocopies of them sometime soon, with a copy of your last years report too please, that would be good.

Yes, do go ahead & make an appointment with the doctor, pronto. Ask for a general medical & the appropriate blood tests. Tell him/her your symptoms, how you have been feeling & for how long. Best to sit down & think about it before you go to the doctors, & write these things down so it is certain your mind, plus any questions you may have. I always do this, just in french! If you are still going to be living in Karori, it may be better to find a Karori doctor rather than your P'ram one. 
As for cost, you will still be on your Dad's community services card, so a doctors appt should be around $25 to $30. Blood tests should be included, no extra charge. If for some reason, your Dad doesn't have a comm serv card (he should, on his income), then it will be around $45. Let me know & I can ether send some money, or I understand you got some holiday pay so if you still have any you can pay & I will reimburse you.

Also, how are your glasses? If you need to get new frames or get those fixed, let me know. Or maybe you'd rather wait till you need new lenses if those frames are holding out with the wire. Think about it anyway.

How are you supporting yourself at the moment?

I hope all is OK there otherwise. Hows Amanda?

Ok, gotta have breakfast now.

love Mum





----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge 
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 7:19:36 AM
Subject: hihi

University soon, scholarship results haven't come through yet (I think they 
come around the 14th). So until then, I'm pretty much broke.

I was wanting to get some blood tests done because I'm still feeling pretty 
awful.. I'm terrible at asking for money for anything, but I think this is 
an important thing really. I don't know how much these sort of things cost, 
but yeah. Can you email me back? I would have asked Dad, but I remembered 
that you mentioned offering to help me out like this, and I was wondering if 
that would still be ok?

-David





*********
*********

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Sunday, 11/02/2007
Subject: Re: hihi



Hi David,
yeah, you're not good at keeping in contact! I kinda hoped for a phone call after you got home sometime, to say all was OK, happy to be home but thanks for the trip... despite your reluctance to be there, I hope you will have happy memories anyway now that the reason for your melancholy is no longer relevant. I enjoyed having you here & showing you a bit of Europe despite all that. Anyway...

Get the doctors sorted out soon. There is also a health centre at Vic. I used to hang out there everyday at lunchtime (for the first 2 years) to do my dialysis. I'm not sure how it works as regards actual doctors visits, probably have to pay something. But you can keep this in mind for when you are actually there.

Your Dad should have a comm serv card, but if not, c'est la vie. You will get a card once you are getting student allowance, should get sent to you automatically, but you may have to chase it up.

So make an appointment at your current doctors or whatever & let me know.

When does uni start?

Let me know the results of schol exams s in a couple of days...

Have you actually applied for the student loan yet, or are you waiting on answers from student allowance? 

OK, we are off for a walk at Fontainbleau, a forest below Paris.

nite,
love Mum



----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 3:16:58 AM
Subject: Re: hihi

I'll ask at the doctor's near Amanda's house to see how much it costs (with 
or without a community service card - I'll soon find out if Dad has one) 
Umm, sorry about not contacting you recently. I'm terrible with things like 
that. I've been told off by my friends about semi ignoring them lol (I 
should blame amanda :P).

I did get that msn message btw.

Umm, regarding money currently.. I have about $9.00 in total. I'll be fine 
for cashflow once university starts - the only question is how much will be 
on loan, and how much will be on student allowance etc..

But yeah, I have no money until I get money from the student loan or get 
money from scholarship/s - I have at least $500 coming to me soon I think. 
My glasses are fine, the wire is holding up perfectly well (thank Arnold for 
me).

But yeah, I'll go to the doctors and ask them there. Amanda's theory is that 
I probably haven't had enough iron. It probably is a factor at the very 
least.


Umm, I'll email you again sometime soon. I check my emails often, but don't 
usually think to write them to people, unless as a reply. So if you email 
me, I'll usually tend to reply.

Cya






>From: Tedge
>To: David Solt
>Subject: Re: hihi
>Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:43:25 -0800 (PST)
>
>Hi David!
>
>hey, I've been waiting for you to be in contact, I thought you'd forgotten 
>me. So I wasn't going to chase around looking for me, you know where I am. 
>Did you get the msn message I sent shortly after you returned home, about 
>the letters for the student allowance appl? Hopefully those arrived & all 
>was OK there. Please send me the photocopies of them sometime soon, with a 
>copy of your last years report too please, that would be good.
>
>Yes, do go ahead & make an appointment with the doctor, pronto. Ask for a 
>general medical & the appropriate blood tests. Tell him/her your symptoms, 
>how you have been feeling & for how long. Best to sit down & think about it 
>before you go to the doctors, & write these things down so it is certain 
>your mind, plus any questions you may have. I always do this, just in 
>french! If you are still going to be living in Karori, it may be better to 
>find a Karori doctor rather than your P'ram one.
>As for cost, you will still be on your Dad's community services card, so a 
>doctors appt should be around $25 to $30. Blood tests should be included, 
>no extra charge. If for some reason, your Dad doesn't have a comm serv card 
>(he should, on his income), then it will be around $45. Let me know & I can 
>ether send some money, or I understand you got some holiday pay so if you 
>still have any you can pay & I will reimburse you.
>
>Also, how are your glasses? If you need to get new frames or get those 
>fixed, let me know. Or maybe you'd rather wait till you need new lenses if 
>those frames are holding out with the wire. Think about it anyway.
>
>How are you supporting yourself at the moment?
>
>I hope all is OK there otherwise. Hows Amanda?
>
>Ok, gotta have breakfast now.
>
>love Mum
>
>
>
>
>
>----- Original Message ----
>From: David Solt
>To: Tedge
>Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 7:19:36 AM
>Subject: hihi
>
>University soon, scholarship results haven't come through yet (I think they
>come around the 14th). So until then, I'm pretty much broke.
>
>I was wanting to get some blood tests done because I'm still feeling pretty
>awful.. I'm terrible at asking for money for anything, but I think this is
>an important thing really. I don't know how much these sort of things cost,
>but yeah. Can you email me back? I would have asked Dad, but I remembered
>that you mentioned offering to help me out like this, and I was wondering 
>if
>that would still be ok?
>
>-David





***********
***********


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Monday, 12/02/2007
Subject: Re: Ahoy

hi david,
good you have an appointment, but should I sent the money to your old account number? Or if you have a new one you will need to send me the number pronto so I can transfer money before your midnight Monday. 
Doctors have gone up in NZ then, were $25 with comm card, I think I paid $45 the last few times without one.
In France the cheapest docs are €28, but we get that all reimbursed, (after much paperwork & hassle at the moment)
I will send a bit extra in case you need prescriptions. These are $15 each item without card, $3 each with card or presumably PHO whatever that is. Make sure the doc marks the prescription form appropriately so you only pay $3 each.

I'm waiting for Matthew to turn up on skype as he said he would at this time. Hungry... because I have blood tests this morning & can't eat before these particular ones. 

bye, mum




----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 3:03:22 AM
Subject: Ahoy

kk, I have made a doctor's appointment now, it is for Wednesday the 14th. I 
don't need a community services card, I'm apparently enrolled with a PHO. So 
the price works out the same, at $29 (are doctors really this expensive?!). 
Anyway, in regards to student allowance, loan and scholarship results: the 
loan is almost totally sorted (I've sent off the final papers), the 
allowance is not completely sorted yet and the scholarship results have not 
come out yet (in a couple of days, as far as I know).

Anyway, I have to go to the bank now, to change my account type (stupid 
early closing times for banks).




*************
*************


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Monday, 12/02/2007
Subject: Re: Ahoy


Ok David, 

I didn't want to send if acct num was going to change.
So it is the same num, & I have sent $50 to cover doctor, any prescription perhaps, & extra for emergency.
It should be in your acct either today or 14th, but if not accessible, you may need to borrow in the meantime.
Hope it all goes well,
love Mum

----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:01:24 AM
Subject: Re: Ahoy


Umm,
As far as I know, my account number is still the same.. So you can just send 
it to the account:
[number here]

Unless that's different to the number you currrently have, all should work 
well. Ack, I'm tired atm. Finished enrolling etc, just a few things RE: 
student allowance


cya




*******
********


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 13/02/2007
Subject: Re: Ahoy

ah, keep forgetting to ask, have you set/booked a date yet for your wedding?
We are thinking 12th Jan or more likely 19th for ours, depending on venue availability.
Can you let me know please, in case it we have a clash.
thanks, Mum




********
********



From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Monday, 19/02/2007
Subject: Re: Ahoy


Hi David,
any word on the blood test results?
Maybe you just need to pay more attention to getting good nutrition, exercise & sleep?
I've had a bit of a scare in the last few weeks, with chest pains & soaring cholesterol levels, so have an appointment with a Cardiologist next week.
Because of this, I am making a concerted effort to improve my diet. I feel its a matter of life or death. I want to stick around for a while longer, I have so much more I want to do here!!
Based on an excellent book I'm reading, I've drawn up a spreadsheet which I am trying to follow, finding it easier to keep on track if I keep a record. Have attached it (excel) if it might help you. Mostly they are foods which have many essential nutrients, & have been proven to have specific health benefits such as cardiovascular health, resistance against cancer, improvement in macular (eye) degeneration etc etc.
I'm sure that even if you added a few of these things regularly into your diet, it would make a world of difference to your health & energy levels.
I'm seeing an improvement now after 2 weeks of making changes, & cutting out most sugar, chippies etc. 
Think about it.

love Mum


[[[attachment here]]]
[[[add the picture from the excel spreadsheet here]]]





----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 3:04:50 AM
Subject: Re: Ahoy

Yes, I went to the appointment. All went well, the doctor couldn't find 
anything wrong with me. Blood test results are still to come. I've recieved 
the money in my account, thanks for that. I can now pay back what I borrowed 
lol.


*******
*******


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Monday, 19/02/2007
Subject: Re: Ahoy


Do you have your scholarship results yet? Apparently they are out. How did it go?

Any word yet on the student allowance?

A start date for uni?


*******
*******


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Monday, 19/02/2007
Subject: Re: Wedding Date


Ah. Thought you were heading more towards end of January.
Well done, very organised. Well, I guess you didn't have to do much organisation yourself!
Well we are now investigating the 12th, & after a few emails, finding some availability of venues. But wow are they pricey! Don't really want anything quite that fancy.
Also looking at the 26th if we can't a place we like on the 12th. We're not so keen on that, as we won't fit in Christmas as well then. Also I guess you'd be away then, but we may need to go for that date, we'll see.
If we have no luck in January, we may bring it forwards to November/early December 2007, but then we wouldn't also come over in January, so we are still trying for January 12th.
We're reluctant to push it back to March 2008, partly because my health has been a bit shaky the last 3 weeks which worries us, so we'd rather have the wedding sooner than later.
We're looking at venues in the Wairarapa, as a good central point to Napier & Wellington. If you know of anyone who perhaps just has a huge farmhouse, let me know!
You have Skype? Perhaps we can talk in the next day or two. Try logging on in your morning or evening & see if I'm online.
Your Tuesday morning would be good, Monday night here.

love Mum



----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge 
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 3:08:11 AM
Subject: RE: wedding date

We are booked in for the 19th, venue etc is settled. Make sure you sort out 
venue soon? They'll all be booked out pretty soon...

Talk to you soon, ok? I have internet now, I haven't for the last couple of 
days..



*********
*********

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Wednesday, 21/02/2007
Subject: Re: university/scholarship/allowance?






Congratulations David,
well done on the two subjects & good luck with the economics recount.
So you have $1500 so far towards your fees?
When do you pay your fees? 
I can put $1000 in your account towards fees if it will help.
Back to our wedding planning now, making some progress.
love Mum


----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 11:34:39 PM
Subject: RE: university/scholarship/allowance?

>Do you have your scholarship results yet? Apparently they are out. How did 
>it go?

I have scholarship results. I passed Statistics and Accounting, this awards 
me $1000. I came one mark away from passing Economics. I will get my 
economics paper reconsidered. If I pass it, I get $2000 each year, for 3 
years.


>Any word yet on the student allowance?

Student Allowance is still being proccessed


>A start date for uni?

Uni starts at 26th of February




***********
***********


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Saturday, 24/02/2007
Subject: Re: Re: ahoy, 'tis another email


Hi David,

Yes I have just been talking to your dad & he told me about the student allowance woes. Good luck. If you need more forms from me, better let me know quick as I may not even have them, whatever they are. Surely they can't be as bad as the French admin??? Finally got my Carte Vitale & Carte de Mutuelle last week, after only 8 months waiting. And also my new drivers licence, yay!

Fingers crossed for the recount, would be good for you if that comes thru.

Was talking to your Dad about how we pay the money for your fees. We were all intending to pay it straight onto the fees, but I understand that will now be paid by student loan. We are both reluctant to just put thousands in your bank account, as the whole purpose is to help your student loan be smaller at the end. This was the whole intention. Money in the bank is too easy to just spend, despite your best intentions, & if you (hopefully) have the student allowance, you will be covered for day to day living. Call me some time very soon to discuss it, you still have that phone card? Or on Skype if you can.

I understand you are going to live at Raroa Rd? Be careful, move out if you are uncomfortable there. Nana must be gutted about that decision. I know it really stirs me up, upsets me. I can't stand that man. Just look after yourself, OK? I love you.

Our wedding plans were taking shape, but have changed tack due to our horror at prices of venues (up to $3700!!!) before even adding the meals or any other costs. But even to hire a marquee is a lot of money, so really now we haven't got very far at all. We're not wanting to spend more than about $3000-$3500 in total, max, with a dinner reception.

So I'm rather confused, as is your Dad, if you are getting married on the beach (free), or in the church ($50-$100 or so??), & having an afternoon tea (for how many people?) which can't be more than $10-15 per person, even if you have 100 people, how can you need more than about $2000 altogether? 
Have you actually done any sums?
Maybe your plans have changed & you are now having a dinner instead, I don't know. Confused.

OK, must go clean the house or something.

love Mum


David Solt <davidsolt@hotmail.com> wrote:
Yes, I'm getting the economics recount asap. Just filling out the form in 10 
minutes.

Yah, I have some money atm. The question is how much alltogether I'll be 
forced to get on loan :(

Student allowance etc is NOT going well so far. I think they keep losing 
documents etc.. Hopeless. At least they aren't as bad as French bureaucracy. 
I think that all student loan should be settled, and I'll keep working on 
getting allowance all good etc.. I'll send you updates on how that's going. 
I don't have much access to internet lately, so that's why I haven't been 
all that quick to reply (Amanda's internet connection hasn't been 
connected).

And in reply, yes, any help with fees etc would be great. Things are fairly 
hectic at the moment, just in the process of moving into Wellington.

>Back to our wedding planning now, making some progress.
Same here. Sorted out most things, except how to pay for it.. I think we may 
be able to scrape through with enough. Amanda's mum is contributing $4000, 
both Amanda and I will be working throughout the year. I was wondering, if 
we don't quite have enough, could we borrow some from you? We would pay it 
back as soon as we possibly could.

I may not be able to email you for a few days, but when I get some time on 
the internet I will.

Love David



*********
*********



From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Wednesday, 07/03/2007
Subject: Re: Yarrgghh (continuing with the pirate theme)


Hi David,
sorry to take so long to reply. Rather busy, tho health seems to have settled. Almost back to normal now, whatever that means. Must be the change in diet. I think for a person in normal health, this diet (ie. eating healthily!!) would give boundless energy.

I'll pop $200 in your account to help with current living costs. Hopefully you have heard about schol/allw etc by now? Good to hear they have now received all your documentation (groan!!)
Bummer about having to buy new books. Did you look in the newspaper too? Maybe next year you'll have more luck. Sometimes it is unavoidable tho, if they change the book each year!
$26500 is not too bad for a student loan, many people have $40,000 or more (I guess they are there for 5 or 6 years??)
If you're getting $40,000 right out of uni, it won't be a problem to pay off. 
Remember, I'll give you $1000 for next years fees, & G&G will also. Like me, they preferred to put it on your fees, so it will have to wait. Don't mention I mentioned it tho, unless they mention it to you!!
If you're really frugal during uni, with what you eat etc, you can perhaps keep your loan down anyway. That's what uni is all about, eating potatoes, fried cabbage, carrots, bread & sausages. OK, so thats what we ate when I was at uni, when we were first married. Sometimes chicken too, but no ice-cream, chippies or orange juice. Seriously though, more veges & less red meat would be good for your health & your budgeting.

finally booked my tickets for NZ yesterday. Decided to avoid flying at Easter, so it has got a bit later in April now.

The itinerary:

[itinerary here]

I have 3 days/2 nights in Singapore on the way there, staying with friends.
24 full days in NZ.
Flying back direct, no stop overs. I hope I can sleep on the plane! Then I catch a train into Paris, metro across to St Lazare, train to Vernon where Arnie will pick me up. I really hope I haven't over-estimated my energy levels here.

So while in NZ, I hope to see family & friends in Wgtn, see you, drop in on Arnie's family in Lower Hutt, stay with Linda in Masterton & finalise a wedding venue etc, visit lots of friends in Napier, visit Matthew in Paraparaumu, & back for a couple of days in Wgtn before I leave. 
Not necessarily totally in that order, but its a loose plan. 
 
OK, gotta go.
Say Hi to Amanda.

love Mum



----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2007 7:55:37 AM
Subject: Yarrgghh (continuing with the pirate theme)

Hmm, scholarship things and all that are still being worked out. So, give it 
a week or so.. I've just recieved a message from studylink. It says that 
they have recieved all of my documentation! So now I'm just waiting.. I 
think I should at least have living allowances sorted soon. If I can't get 
all (or much) money on student allowance.. Things could be very expensive.. 
Costs for uni will probably run up to: $10500 living costs, and $16000 in 
fees ( at least). So yeah.. Worrying..

So I'll keep you updated. The actual university work itself is VERY easy. 
Commuting is not fun (haven't moved in yet), moving in soon though. I'll 
tell you how things re: scholarship and student allowance.

So yeah, enjoying uni. All textbooks have been new :s I couldn't find any at 
the second hand book sale. And two of my paper's require new textbooks. Ack. 
I may need some help with costs, if studylink doesn't come through on time. 
I currently have $200. Half of that will have to go towards board on a few 
days.. So I will likely run out of money soon.

Aside from money and logistical problems, everything is good.

See you when you're over (when will that be by the way?).


bye,

David

>Hi David,
>yes, I didn't include photorapher because you were going to ask Amanda's 
>mother's partner, but if you are  hiring one, it can be $2000 without 
>blinking. Ouch. We're going to do as much ourselves as possible of the 
>organisation & making stuff, without wearing ourselves out so we don't 
>enjoy the day, & delegate what we can! In the end, we just want a fun day 
>with our family & friends. Anyway, still a little befuddled, but january is 
>a long way off, & I can talk to Amanda's mum when I'm over, & see what I 
>can do.
>
>How's the scholrship thing?
>
>Student allowance?
>
>What are you living on at the moment if you haven't got the student 
>allowance? What are your weekly costs? And what about books? I guess you've 
>already checked out the 2nd hand book sale at Vic, they still have one I'm 
>sure. At least you don't have transport costs, an easy walk. So I'll pay 
>$1000 towards next years fees, it's not about you wasting the money, just 
>that I wanted to pay towards fees, it seems more concrete to me. But in the 
>meantime, you may have a couple of weeks before your allowance comes in, so 
>I can help you out there if you let me know your costs.
>
>I hope you are enjoying uni so far. I really enjoyed it when I was there. I 
>didn't much like what they've done to the buildings more recently, too much 
>concrete, & that big cover over the quad?! Used to be all open to the sky, 
>now its closed & stuffy. Ick. How's Amanda going at uni so far? It must be 
>nice being able to meet up between classes, mind you get some work done 
>now!!
>
>Well things are OK here, except Arnie still hates his job & can't carry on 
>much longer with the stress of it, so I don't quite know what the next few 
>months will bring. I am pretty much settled now, & putting more effort into 
>learning french & soon getting a vege garden going for the summer when the 
>ground dries a bit. But the health is playing up, hasn't  quite come right 
>since Venice.  Chest pains & other fun stuff. I went to see a cardiologist 
>yesterday, & have to go back tiwce in the next month for more tests. Fun 
>fun. It may be nothing but... well it must be something, you don't get 
>pains for nothing, & cardiovascular stuff is just one of the side-effects 
>of high blood pressure & years on medication. Hence the radical change in 
>my (& hence, our) diet, plus I have to try not to get stressed, & rest 
>often.
>
>Well, I must go & do some other stuff.
>
>Hi to Amanda from me,
>love Mum



*********
*********



From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Friday, 30/03/2007
Subject: Re: when are you going to be in nz (btw uni is easy)



Hello Hello I wondered where you'd got to?!
I am finally learning to type, using a program from the internet. It makes rude noises when I make a mistake. I know where all the letters are without looking, but it's slow. Can you see the improvement in writing quality??

I remember that first year, it was so easy. I got at least 95% for everything except geography, my "fun" (haha) subject. Then I failed zoology, my major, mid-year (49% aaaaaggghh!) because I was trying so hard to do well on a stupid geography essay. I hated that subject with a vengence.

Sorry to hear your health is not good still. What stuff are you going to try? You mean like vitamin pills, or food which naturally contains vitamins? The nutrients are far more bio-available from natural sources. Why don't you write down what you  eat over the course of a week & have a good look at what you are missing out on & what you are overdoing. If you do that, I can help you out with it when I am over. If you want.

I've kept pretty much to my new diet for the last 2 months, & managed to get my cholesterol down about 17%, hopefully more by now. It's at dangerous levels, & I saw the Nephrologist today who said I have another 2 months to make a further difference, or they will put me on pills for it. That's all I need, MORE pills. So it is a good motivation for better eating, but not so easy to do while travelling. My blood pressure was also sky-high today. Gotta relax more, exercise more. 

I also feel much better, less tired, with the new eating habits. So give it a go. It should make a world of difference to you, as you have no health problems (I hope). Oh, & remember it's a good idea to keep in touch with friends, it's actually good for your health you know? Sleep is good, but don't give up on the exercise. Just try doing different exercise. Walking is always good. Or go to dance classes. It's something you can do together as well as meet people.

I'll be in NZ from 19th April to 14th May. I sent you my flight itinerary 3 weeks ago?
My basic plan so far is:

19-23 Wellington (stay with G&G, see you, meet Amanda, Matthew will come & stay with me for the weekend)
23-27 Wairarapa (organise wedding, Kjelsty is coming to help me, we'll stay at some of the potential venue/homestays)
27-7 Hawkes Bay (visit friends! stay with Hans & Taryn & hopefully Sue part of the time but they are pretty crowded, so maybe with Kjelsty)
7-14 Wellington/Paraparaumu (visit Matthew again, meet Amanda's parents, catch up with your Dad, see you again, visit friends in Wgtn) Not sure of the timing of this bit, as people will be at work/school if I stop in on the way from Napier. I might have to go up again at the weekend to P'ram.
14 fly away back to Arnie...

This may change a bit depending on when I can see/stay with Wairarapa venues etc. Our wedding plans are coming together, with heaps of venues & several caterers all available on the 12th January. We're going to keep it pretty simple. I'll feel a lot better once it's all booked & we can work on the details (making dresses, writing vows, cake recipes & flowers etc)

How is your wedding planning going? January is getting closer at an alarming rate now. We will have to think about dates for that trip too. Cousin Colin asked us yesterday to have Christmas with them, so it will be a french/english Christmas. Not sure if we will make it to NZ for New Years, or maybe Singapore enroute. 

How's Amanda, enjoying uni? Is she finding it easy also? It must be a pain though, commuting each  day? 

Well that about covers it. Oh, & we had lots of snow last week! First day of spring!!

See you in NZ,
love Mum


----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:26:27 AM
Subject: when are you going to be in nz (btw uni is easy)

ahoy, just wanting to know when you're going to be in new zealand. 
University work is very, very easy. I'm still taking it seriously, studying 
and doing a good job of assignments. Of the few small tests I've done, i'm 
getting marks close to about 90%. But nothing major has come through yet. 
After the Easter holidays I'll get some of my marks. Umm, I'm still pretty 
'off' in terms of my health etc. I'm just tired all the time, and it's worse 
after exercising. So I'm mostly taking it easy, getting lots of sleep etc. 
I'm going to try some stuff, see if I feel better etc. But I'll keep you 
updated (eventually) And don't feel neglected with the slow email replies. I 
haven't forgotten you. I'm terrible with keeping contact. Dad, matthew and 
most of my friends don't hear much from me anymore now that I've moved into 
wellington.

cya sometime soon I think



*********
*********


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Friday, 30/03/2007
Subject: Hey David

Hey David,
I've just been talking to Matthew & he made the comment that he didn't think we were inviting you to our wedding???!!
Do you have any idea how he may have got this idea?
Is it just a misunderstanding on his part, or is there some reason he might think this?
Could you let me know please...

love Mum


*******
*******

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 03/04/2007
Subject: Re: Hey David

He (matthew) thought I (tedge) was not inviting you (david) to our (mine & arnie's) wedding.
Anyway, looks like it was just a funny matthew-thought he was having. The two of you are my most important guests.
I will be in Wellington 19th to 22nd  April, not far away now. Will you be around then? I'm looking forward to meeting Amanda.
Grandma was talking about inviting you around for a meal that weekend. 
I will also be in Wellington for a week at the end, as you see from the rough plan I sent you the other day, & probably catch a train up to P'ram for that last weekend.
Haha... my typing is still very slow, but I'm trying.
Been out gardening all morning, still exhausted, but trying to get the veges underway before I leave for NZ.
OK, some more things to do, better get moving.
Arnie moved the computer table out of the dark corner yesterday. I'm now sitting by the window, much more pleasant.
See you both soon,
love Mum

P.S. I will have my mobile in NZ, providing it still works.... & the number is 0274 3480448 (I think!!)



----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2007 7:23:39 AM
Subject: RE: Hey David

Umm, I have no idea. Did he think you (Tedge) were not inviting me (David) 
to your wedding? Or did matthew think that he (matthew) was not invited. 
Sorry for the names, just your original email was a little ambiguous.

meh, I don't know either way anyway?!


your typing is getting better I think


*****
*****


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Thursday, 12/04/2007
Subject: 4 days till I leave France...



Hi David, 
apologies for slow reply. Busy.

Just 4 days now till I leave for NZ, & lots to do. All is organised now with potential wedding venues/caterers in NZ, amazing how much you can get done over the internet. Now I just need to visit them all in the 4 days I will be in the Wairarapa area, & then make some decisions. I will feel a lot better once that's done & I can get onto the more creative bits like making a dress. 

It will be so good to get back to NZ & see everyone! Yes it is strange I haven't met Amanda yet, & it will be good to finally do so. Now, you said she likes BodyShop stuff or similar, do you know if she likes any particular "flavours"? Don't mention it to her, unless discretely, as there is no guarantee I will get near a BodyShop or Lush or that Nature thingy one. Maybe in Singapore. 

I rang G&G last night, but Mum was on her way out on a day long tramp over the hills. Such energy, really shows us up huh? So I didn't get to discuss dinner or whatever on the weekend 22/23. I also need to talk to Matthew as he will be playing Table-tennis but i don't lnow the time/date. Will contact later about it. 

My typing is getting faster, but I tire of backspacing the errors, so will leave them in this time. 

Getting excited & nervous about my trip now. I will pack tomorrow to avoid a last minutr rush. I can't afford to get anxious/upset/stressed/angry at the moment, as my blood pressure is dangerously high. I got stressed at the hospital last week with the 2 1/2 hour wait which occurred because I didn't know the system in that department, & didn't understand everything the receptionist said to me. I was quietly sitting in a corner doing page after page of french homework, so I didn't realise I was so stressed until the nurse took my blood pressure & it was 198/109!!! Rather worrying.

Arnie is sick at the moment, has been since he had a wisdom tooth (une dent de sagesse) out a week ago. He dragged himself into work this afternoon, so I hope he will be better soon. I don't like to leave him like this. 

 He will probably go to china for part of the time I am in NZ.

See you soon!!! 


love Mum

*****
*****


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 08/05/2007
Subject: ????????



David, you strange boy, why the changes & the changes back?
I'm confused.
I would very much like to be at your wedding, I wouldn't want to miss it, so from my side I hope you are not changing again.
 
Ours is Jan 12th, & unless there is some catastrophe, it isn't changing. Venue & caterer are booked, & Brett is taking the service. Sue is going to be my "best woman".
I have got all the fabric for dresses & decorations, & will start sewing when I get home.
We are working on the music, photos & other details. Getting exciting now.
 
I've had a busy 2 weeks in Wairarapa & HB, oganising the wedding & then seeing lots of friends in HB. It was really good & not too tiring.
 
Now I am back in Wellington & booked out every evening this week except Thurs. Are you free that evening, or else for a slot during wed, thurs or fri?
I also plan to go up to P'ram for the weekend to see Matthew,& you if you are there. I guess I will stay in the YHA hostel but will have to investigate.
 
Say Hi to Amanda. Hope to see you soon!
love Mum


David Solt <davidsolt@hotmail.com> wrote:
dw about it. Things will be rebooked for the 19th of January.


********
********

Note: my mother’s wedding was the last time I saw Brett and Sue Walker, before the year 2022. Sue was the maid of honour, and Brett Walker was the celebrant and pastor. My mother and Sue were friends for years.

********
********

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 08/05/2007
Subject: Thursday

thursday in wellington would be good. Do you have no classes that day.
How about you call me at G&G's early this evening (we are out from about 6.30 I think) or on wednesday sometime.
 
I will also go up to P'ram for the weekend
 
love Mum

David Solt <davidsolt@hotmail.com> wrote:
I'll either be in Wellington or Paraparaumu on Thursday. What would be best 
for you? I will be in Paraparaumu for the weekend itself.






***********
***********


From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Monday, 21/05/2007
Subject: Bonjour David

Bonjour David,
hows it going? I hope you are feeling better now, or taking steps to work out what is going on. Did you try the health centre at Vic? At least it is free (?) & convenient for you to get to, & if they can't help you they can advise you where to go for help. I hope you can sort it out soon & hopefully find some more energy.

It was nice to see you in NZ, even if only for short bits of time. Pity I didn't get to see Amanda as well that last weekend. Say Hi from me. I had a nice time with Matthew & helped him pack a bit for moving house. I guess they are all settled in the new house now & your Dad has gone to Croatia.

I have just about got over my jet-lag, after a week! I have been very tired each day & had to sleep each afternoon. The first day home I slept nearly the whole day & then all night! Only an hours sleep in the 36 hours previous...

We just had a 4 day weekend (yay for those french saints days) but were both too tired to go away for the whole time. We went on a day-trip yesterday to some places we haven't been to before. Found our first real Op shop in an ancient abbey & I got a couple of jackets for $4 total. Arnold of course insisted on paying $10 because the proceeds go to the Nomads in Nigeria. He's like that. We had an interesting conversation with the Benedictine nun; & I am finding I can understand French better now I am back here than when I left. My ears seem to be tuning in.

Driving home, we had our first puncture. Fortunately we had just slowed down because the car didn't feel right, then the tyre went BANG! Of course it was pouring with rain & we didn't have the right tool to remove the mag covers. Flagging a lady down so she could stand in the rain with us didn't really help, despite her offers of a hammer & other irrelevant tools. Finally a piece of bent wire did the trick, then Arnie had to undo the bolts which were done up so so tight with a machine. This morning I got a replacement tyre & was happy to find the cost was very little as they are new tyres & under guarantee. Cool. 

I also got my eyes tested this morning & the good news is that my cataracts don't need an operation yet. The other good news is that my sight deterioration can be helped with new glasses & I will be able to see again, yay! The bad news could be the cost of the glasses, as with everything else in France they are double or more than NZ prices (which are not cheap either) & for the progressive lenses could be between €500 & €900!! They may be partly/completely covered by medical insurance, but if not then I sense a trip to UK or Germany where glasses can be €50-70 at the right place.

Must go now, I have 15 shirts to iron for Arnold & some buttons to sew on. He did do some ironing while I was away!!

Call me sometime... you have Skype still & internet in your room?

love Mum



********
********

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 29/05/2007
Subject: Re: where in the world are you?


Yo, je suis en France!

I searched the length & breadth of skype & found you there, david-in-nz. Tu es en Nouvelle-Zélande.
We have the computer on quite often, though lately I have taken to turning it off during the day so I don't get distracted & waste time surfing the net (ie. procrastinating & not getting other stuff done)
Hope to see you on line sometime soon! 
I got Matthew a microphone, so once they get internet on he should be able to call also 


Re your wedding & your request, that will be OK. Do you have any idea of what you are paying for yourself or is it just whatever is in excess of $4000? You will need to keep me updated as we get closer to the time as I only keep in a cheque account what I need for NZ expenses & would need a bit of warning to make some more available.

Will you be working at all in the holidays? Staying in Wellington?

We have been doodling ideas for our wedding invitations the last couple of days, & looking at wording. Just thought: what are you putting on yours as regards parents names? I guess the invite is being written as from Amanda's Mum, but her Dad's name is there somewhere too? And it's OK with me to put "David Jeremiah Solt... son of Paul & Tedge Solt"... but you'd better also have a chat to your Dad. Of course my name won't be Solt by the time of your wedding but it will be when you send out  the invites.
I don't know if you have thought about the wording at all yet, & mainly how to put it tactfully so as not to offend, especially on Amanda's side.

Ours is easy, I don't think it is necessary to put in our parents names at all, as the invite is from us. No worries. I need to get onto making my dress & Sue's skirt. I have all the ideas & a pattern to base it on, but am procrastinating. 

Off to the garden now to plant a chilli plant. I don't think they will be superhot ones. The slugs keep eating our new brussel sprout plants so we have been out there after dark (thats about 11pm) the last couple of nights, hunting down the little beasties & shwishing them. 

really must go now as the weather is packing in, yet again, cutting short my gardening time.

love Mum




 


----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge 
Sent: Tuesday, 29 May, 2007 10:13:33 AM
Subject: where in the world are you?

I have downloaded Skype. I haven't seen you on though.

Just telling you that I have it now.


******
******

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Thursday, 31/05/2007
Subject: Re: I got blood test results back.


Hi David,
good to hear you now have a name for what you have, & as far as I know it won't stick around too long if you look after yourself  properly.
My doc in Taupo told me nearly every person (in NZ I guess ) has had glandular fever running around in their bloodstream by the time they are 40, though they may not even know it. I tested positive to it sometime around 30-35, though he couldn't say how long ago I'd had it. I suggest you read up on after care for it, & I will too, see if there is anything specific you should be doing/eating. Here's hoping for lots more energy & good health very soon!!

I got my blood tests back today also. Rather disappointingly, the cholesterol is still the same as 3 months ago. It was difficult while in NZ to really keep up my diet stringently, though I did OK in many aspects. I see the Nephrologist (kidney specialist) tomorrow, & she will prescribe me anti-cholesterol pills as she said she would if I didn't make a further dent in my cholesterol by now. (I got it down 15% in the previous month). I am rather upset about this & haven't decided whether or not to take the pills she gives me. I just don't want any more pills!!!!! I will need to crack down on my diet also & make more improvements.

Now, re the wedding invitation thing. I guess the traditional wording is from way back when the girl's parents were very proud & also relieved that their daughter was getting married to some fine (rich) young (or not so young, but definitely rich) man & this was their announcement to society that their daughter was marrying well. Of course they would be paying for the wedding & so it was natural they would be doing the inviting. It would be their last big expenditure for their daughter before (with a sigh of relief from the father as it was his 5th daughter to marry) they could hand her over to be someone else's financial responsibility.  

Anyway, thats my best guess on the history of it. Today though, as I understand, it is normal for the person/people who are hosting (paying ) for the wedding to do the inviting. And as Amanda's Mum is mostly paying, this would be her. When the bride & groom do the inviting, it implies they are paying for & hosting the wedding themselves. Just had a quick Google, & most invitations I saw just had the bride's parent/s names on, only some had the groom's parent's names. 

Anyway, tradition aside, Amanda's Mum is the one you need to talk to. You may find she doesn't mind either way, or you might find it is very important to her. After all, Amanda is her only daughter, & one that she has raised all alone for 18 1/2 years. Quite probably, she will take great pride in announcing the marriage of her only daughter to family & friends, & unless she thinks otherwise, it would not be something she would want taken away from her.

Yes, it is your wedding, it is your Day & nothing takes that away from you two, but you also need to think of other people's feelings. Having her Mum's name on the invitation takes nothing away from it being your day. It is a special day for Lesley too, as for the other parents (that would be us!) & it is a way of acknowledging her as a mother as well as for putting on the wedding for you, especially as there are to be no speeches etc due to family unrest. So talk to her & see what she thinks.

Enough for now, 

Get better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love Mum


----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Paul and Tedge 
Subject: I got blood test results back.

I have apparently had glandular fever in the past 6-3 months (approx). This 
explains the tiredness. The previous set of blood tests clearly didn't pick 
it up.. Anyway, it's nice knowing what has been wrong.

Thought I would keep you two up to date.




*******
*******

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Thursday, 05/07/2007
Subject: Re: Ahoy


Wahoo!!!!!! Very good! Well done. 
I was wondering how you did in the exams & how everything was going.
How did Amanda do in the exams?
 
I am in La Couture this week with Mum, staying with her cousin Colin & Uncle Alec, for his 96th birthday. It is nice & quiet after 3 days in Paris with never ending noise.
 
I will write more later, really tired just now & not feeling so well. How is your health now, energy picking up?
love Mum
 


 
----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge Solt 
Sent: Wednesday, 4 July, 2007 10:38:07 AM
Subject: ahoy

Hey, I just got my results back. Two A+ and one A.

Anyway, that's pretty much all.


******
******

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Wednesday, 18/07/2007
Subject: Re: How go the wedding plans?


Hi David,
things are good here. I'm getting very tired though, have to sleep most afternoons, hope I can improve a bit soon.
I spent a week down at La Couture with Colin & Great Uncle Alec (his 96th birthday), & had hardly recovered from that, when we wereoff again up north.
We got back home last night from a 4 day weekend in Germany, visiting friends in Aachen, with a day in Lille on the way back. 
Was fun. Rode bikes. Learnt some more German. Tried to communicate with small children who speak dutch & german but no engleesh. Even had 3 sunny days , & temps above 30, then a huge storm early Monday morning (fortunately the tent is waterproof) with lots of thunder & lightening,  & it poured all the way home, not a nice drive, hurrying to pick Grandma up because she was arriving from UK.
Summer has not yet started in northern Europe!

Wedding plans are coming along, next week I will sew as I will have then house to myself & be able to spread fabric out. How are your plans coming along? Hans & Taryn sent us a little book on planning a wedding, & all those little things that you forget to do beforehand & stuff like that. Like remembering to get the marriage licence. Had friends who forgot to do that, had to get it a few days later.

I talked to Matthew this morning; he said you went to parliament for your Dad's birthday! Sounds fancy. I did remember last week it was his birthday, but then didn't ring as we were away. Must remember to call...

Matthew said Amanda is sick? Hope it is nothing serious? Not glandular fever? Hope she is better soon. Hope you are getting better too, more energy etc, did you get a bit of a rest over the holidays?

Hope uni goes well this half. What new courses do you have?

Talk to you sometime... I will look out for you on Skype.

Now I will try & shake off this tiredness & take Grandma for a walk down through the forest to Pacy.

love Mum.


----- Original Message ----
From: David Solt
To: Tedge Solt
Sent: Sunday, 15 July, 2007 11:26:14 AM
Subject: How go the wedding plans?

I'm just asking to see how everything is progressing in your end of the world. Things are going fairly well here. University has just started again for the week.. Meh. Early morning tomorrow.

*******
*******

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Saturday, 21/07/2007
Subject: I forgot to ask

Uh, forgot to ask, what is Amanda's last name? Is it Ward? Is the address 5 Weka Rd, Raumati Beach?
For purposes of sending to, as you are there at weekends still?
I couldn't find her in online white pages, but maybe her mum's name is different.

thanks, Mum

********
********

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Tuesday, 24/07/2007
Subject: Wedding

Hi David,
our wedding will be at The Loft in Featherston.  http://www.theloft.co.nz/#wed
Can't Amanda drive you there? (full license by then?)
Or if you are in Wellington it is simple to catch a train which will stop at Featherston. The Loft is not too far from the station.
Train timetables are online.

I am very much hoping Matthew will be there, I would be sad if he wasn't. I hope he will see I am happy & be happy for me. Your dad will encourage him to go & to hopefully be cheerful?? as I will encourage when your Dad decides to get married one day.
Maybe if I give Matthew a little job, a responsibility, it will help. I haven't decided how to approach the subject yet as everytime I mention it he gets very quiet.

Most people are making a weekend of it; G&G will find a place to stay with A&A&kids & also Matthew (but I haven't talked to Matthew about it yet). Most/all of Arnie's family are staying the weekend; Fred has found a place between Featherston & Martinborough to sleep 15++. He is very excited about the wedding, & is being very helpful. He will play the saxophone for us, & also take some photos.
On the Sunday we will probably all have a BBQ somewhere, & perhaps go out to The Pinnacles was one suggestion. Out on the coast somewhere? We are not disappearing straight after the wedding; we would rather see friends & family while we have the chance.

We bought a wedding album at the weekend, I had been vaguely looking for a while & this one will do fine. It has hand-made paper pages almost like cloth, not sure how the photos will stick on! And we will have to take the little blue boat button & kites off the front & replace them with something more appropriate...

We still have to book our flights for NZ & work out where we will be when. Is there anything you would like be to help with for your wedding, either beforehand or on the day?

Well I must go do some sewing now, start on the Bridesmaid skirt I should already have finished to send back to NZ with Grandma. Oh well...
Has Amanda decided on bridesmaid dresses yet? Is she still having just one, or back to three? Arnie hasn't got a best man yet, as Conrad has moved to Aussie & may not be able to make it. Not quite sure what we will do there, as he can't ask Fred, he will be busy enough!! & Harry would probably not turn up till halfway through. In fact we will write him a special invitation with the start time 1 hour earlier than everyone else.

see you,
love Mum


********
********

From: Tedge
To: David
Sent: Saturday, 11/08/2007
Subject: Hi David


Hi David,
hows it all going? Was just talking to Matthew, he said he saw you & Amanda today. I asked how you were & he said Amanda was happy "she is always happy" he said. Cute. He said you have exams coming up in a few weeks. So soon again? Matthew said he won the under 19's in Wellington the other day. Wow, good result, & exceeded his personal goals.

It is still dreary weather here with the occasional scorching hot day every week or two. I don't mind because hot days sap my energy levels. But it is very weird weather for summer.

We will have a weekend at home doing gardening & things, & a BBQ with friends. I will keep an eye out for you on Skype if you are around. Next weekend we will go to Holland as Arnie has to do some work there Thurs/Fri & then we will spend some time with some of his cousins who I haven't yet met. His mother was one of 5 kids & his father one of 6 (or possibly 7, Arnold isn't sure!) & Arnold has approx 20 first cousins, possibly more, he doesn't know exactly!! I will need to learn some Dutch. Last night he made a phone call to a friend in Germany, spoke German, then to his cousin & had to speak Dutch. What fun to just be able to switch languages like that, though he says his Dutch is pretty crappy. Its fun when I can do that a little with French, but there is Oh so far to go yet before I am really comfortable with speaking French. My typing speed is improving...

I am still reading up on how to eat to improve my health. Something I read the other day was by an Iranian doctor, about water for healing. Basically that most disease is caused or made worse by our constant dehydrated state. He advocates drinking 3 or more glasses of water first thing in the morning to alleviate the overnight dehydration state. Then 2 glasses of water 1/2 hour before each meal. This means the water is absorbed into the cells & is ready to help with digestion. It means that the food is better digested & hence the blood less acidic. The acid in the blood causes damage to the arteries. Drinking a lot of water at the same time as eating makes digestion less efficient. Well that was part of what he said anyway; there were lots of other health benefits of not just drinking enough water, & I know you drink plenty water, but also when we drink it. Interesting. I might buy the book from Amazon. 

We've just written up a list of things to do for the wedding. Lots of little things that need doing, rather over-whelming when we write it all down... but we'll get there.

OK, talk to you sometime I hope. Have a good weekend. Say Hi to Amanda from me. 


love Mum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start here - Table of contents

Reposting the page drop box of garbage v3: edited

Faraday Barn